What parts would you use?

Serenity is in for her MOT later this month and I thought I'd take the opportunity to have the clutch replaced (soooo long overdue) and at the same time get my slave and master cylinders replaced - at the moment I'm topping up my clutch fluid every 3 days or so!

She's a 1992 200tdi 90 hardtop. My question is this: What clutch, slave and master cylinder would you fit?

Cheers in advance

JB

Guessing genuine parts are going to be an arm and a leg. I'd go for Bearmach parts. Not bought any clutch related bits from them, but all the other bits have been good quality.

HTH

I'm going to go with genuine unless people advise otherwise. The reason I ask is I've been told that the new Lucas master cylinder is a bit ropey and the genuine slave come from Britpart.

AP / Borg and beck - what i have just put in mine,, seems nice and doesnt slip,, lots of good opinions on them, but 90 had a valeo in it not sure of age and looked like it had loads of life in it and disco that i got 200tdi engine for my transplant had a valeo also you can get heavy duty ones from valeo,, i would stay away from britpart. Also get a reinforced clutch fork.

AP / Borg and beck - what i have just put in mine,, seems nice and doesnt slip,, lots of good opinions on them, but 90 had a valeo in it not sure of age and looked like it had loads of life in it and disco that i got 200tdi engine for my transplant had a valeo also you can get heavy duty ones from valeo,, i would stay away from britpart. Also get a reinforced clutch fork.

cheers Phillis, I was thinking a Valeo to be honest but will look into the Borg & Beck

Western, and sorry if this is a stupid question, are the genuine parts made by Land Rover or are some of them made by other companies? I was of the understanding that some genuine parts were made by britpart amongst others.

LR don't factory fit Britpart items, all their clutch parts are made for LR to LR specs by well known original equipment clutch manufactures like Valeo or Borg & Beck or whatever B&B are known as now. doubt Britpart actually make anything either.

I'm keen to avoid Britpart at all costs so wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to end up with a britpart cylinder if I asked for a genuine part. I'm still not too clear on the difference between genuine and oem so am very confused!

Cheers for all your help so far tho!

well in theory :). But people have had varying quality of what was apparently 'OEM'...

OEM just means (or should mean) made by the same company that supply it to LR - but it does NOT mean it's the same standard, despite what they'd like you to think. A genuine LR bearing may be made by GKN, and Britpart may supply a GKN bearing, but there's no guarantee it's made of the same grade materials with the same tolerance and same heat treatment etc. - it could be the GKN bearing for a chinese shopping trolley for all they care.

A mate of mine had two Bosch starters apart - one genuine Bosch, one OEM Bosch, and the genuine LR one was to a higher spec with more seals etc.

I vote AP / Borg&Beck.

Valeo make a HD clutch as fitted to 130s. The name on the box doesn't matter, it is what is engraved on the plate itself that counts.

All Defender clutch master cylinders are rubbish (it is a SIIA part in reality). They last for ever in Series vehicles and don't in Defenders as there is something wrong with the angle of the dangle or something like that. We have old ones resleeved with SS and they then last.

Don't bother changing the seals as it's a waste of labour.