Not saying its Chilly but.....

JeffR

Now we all know that the heating inside a LR is , well, useless, but this is how cold it is inside mine - after a 40 mile round trip with the heater set on blast furnace - really need an advert on this site for LR branded thermal undies!!!!!post-25095-064324800 1291745166_thumb.jpgpost-25095-004299600 1291745190_thumb.jpg

Thought I had reduced the image size (blame Bill Gates, not me). Believe it or not, the heater is fine, just had a new matrix, all linkages re-adjusted etc, etc, its just bloody cold. Should have seen it last weekend, wife flatly refused to get in until I removed the 8 inch icicle hanging from the hinge. And as for the windscreen washers, even running 80% screenwash results don't work, but I have a cunning plan to rectify that, this weekend I'm fitting my heated washer system - 10 inches of copper tube coiled around the matrix inlet pipe - instant heat exchanger!!!!!!

forgot to add that the condensation (how the hell it gets in there I don't know) inside the dash dials has also frozen, but couldn't get a decent photo

Thought I had reduced the image size (blame Bill Gates, not me). Believe it or not, the heater is fine, just had a new matrix, all linkages re-adjusted etc, etc, its just bloody cold. Should have seen it last weekend, wife flatly refused to get in until I removed the 8 inch icicle hanging from the hinge. And as for the windscreen washers, even running 80% screenwash results don't work, but I have a cunning plan to rectify that, this weekend I'm fitting my heated washer system - 10 inches of copper tube coiled around the matrix inlet pipe - instant heat exchanger!!!!!!

careful putting warm liquid on freezing cold glass! :ph34r:

Now I approve of the that idea, sadly, bank manager does not. The idea behind the coiled (and insulated) copper brake pipe is that to attach it to the washer pipes so that warm water flows through, I did some calculations and reckon that the heat loss over 12 inches of plastic piping would be large enough to ensure that the screenwash fluid did not cause thermal shock to the windsceen, mind you a heated windscreen would be easier, but nowhere near as much fun, and again I suspect that the bank manager would be less than enthusiastic....

I don't have a problem with condensation on my roof.

That's probably because it's in my storage shed. Yup - still open top, and no heater at all. :D

you must be hard as nails or thick as two short planks :lol:

I'm so cold I've taken to wearing tracksuit bottoms under my trousers ha ha

The idea behind the coiled (and insulated) copper brake pipe is that to attach it to the washer pipes so that warm water flows through, I did some calculations and reckon that the heat loss over 12 inches of plastic piping would be large enough to ensure that the screenwash fluid did not cause thermal shock to the windsceen

But unless you use the washers every 30 seconds then the nozzle will still freeze solid and you will have a 12" pipe full of hot spray with nowhere to go - hur hur hur...

I have been making do with a plastic bottle full of water with a hole in the lid. Whenever I am stopped at lights etc., just lean out and give the window a good irrigating. Of course, the wiper arms still freeze so there is little contact with the glass. :(

Chris

i spent 3 years in germany when i was in the raf,there is a german alcoholic spirit known as white corn,was actually cheaper than screen wash so that is what we all used in the washer bottle,was as rough as guts to drink though!!my current 90 is still wearing a full canvas this winter,not found it much colder than the hard top last year,with the viscous fan removed it warms up fairly well,but i think the average over night temp in coastal suffolk is about -2 so far,a far cry from my native s****horpe,that was -16 at 6a.m monday morning.

i spent 3 years in germany when i was in the raf,there is a german alcoholic spirit known as white corn,was actually cheaper than screen wash so that is what we all used in the washer bottle,was as rough as guts to drink though!!my current 90 is still wearing a full canvas this winter,not found it much colder than the hard top last year,with the viscous fan removed it warms up fairly well,but i think the average over night temp in coastal suffolk is about -2 so far,a far cry from my native s****horpe,that was -16 at 6a.m monday morning.

You mean Jenever? That should indeed do quite well, with the alcohol that has in it there would need to be a new ice age to freeze it :lol:

A few of the SLRC members can attest to its tastiness :ph34r:

My top tip is to fit a new Thermostat! OK, you' probably have already - but this time buy one from a main dealer.

I've had this several times with different LR's and every time, a new, genuine stat has fixed all my heating problems. Ones from Halfords, Britpart, Local motor factor are all worthless - I've only found genuine ones work properly.

It's a lot cheaper than a Erberwebastospreachnheatenkugelschiber at the end of the day!

Si

Have a look on Ebay USA engine heaters , I have just bougfht one for £17+£6 for delivery , 110v so you need a building site transformer £20? and your engines at working temp in about 50 mins fits in heater hose . lot cheaper than a kenlowe hotstart . juts remeber to unplug lead before driving off :huh:

if you are wanting a simple 240v plug in engine heater - why not build one yourself for next to nothing?

Cant be that hard to make a simple fitting in the bottom hose of your radiator and insert a small slimline immersion heater into it. Cut the bottom hose and insert a flexible T piece into it with the heater element sealed into the T. As its in the bottom hose, natural convection current should warm up all the coolant quite effectively. Little 500w 240v immersion heaters can be had for £5. Cut the plug off it and wire it to an exterior socket box mounted on the inner wing and away you go!

bet you could do it for less than a tenner.