HELP! Clicky Tmax EW9500

TobyMellin

Hi all!

A month or so back, when at a quarry day, I needed to recover a mate from a very deep lake he decided to attempt...and failed. SO I freespooled the winch out, pulled him in, everything was fine.

Once I unhooked, I tried returning the winch room in, but the solenoids started clicking, so I was forced to wrap the rope around my bumper about 30 times!

A month on I finally decide to get some new solenoids ("allbright equivielnt" I know! They're a cheap rip off, but it was half the price). I wired the new solenoid in, relocated the earth to the battery, and what's still there? CLICK CLICK.

I'm absolutely baffled now, I've re wired it and re wired it and still Mr clicky won't bugger off!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Toby

Check the earth on the bottom of the motor, take it off and give it a good clean.

It is possible to connect the motor by connecting F1 and A, then putting power to F2, the motor should spin. Connect F2 and A and put power to F1 and the motor should spin the other way :) F1, F2 and A should be labelled on the motor, if not A is the single one usually on the outer of the motor, stands for Armature I think?

Good Luck!

and what's still there? CLICK CLICK.

I'm absolutely baffled now, I've re wired it and re wired it and still Mr clicky won't bugger off!

For starters, the contactors/solenoids always 'click' - just normally you don't hear them over the noise of the winch. - Clicking solenoids as such, are not a bad thing!!

I would suggest testing as described above. The three terminals are Field (F) 1 & 2, and Armature (A). Current always flows through the field, and then through the Armature.

Which way the current flows through the Field deterimines which way the motor spins.

So, If you connect a battery to F1, and F2 to A, and the earth is connected, the motor will spin one way.

If you connected a battery to F2, and F1 to A, the motor will spin the other way.

This is what the solenoids do. Four seperate (linked) solenoids, or an Albright both do the same thing, but in slightly different ways.

Luke