300tdi Piston Clearance

edwardbahaw

This is a video of a 300tdi block with new standard pistons and liners fitted

It shows that the pistons can move up/down and left/right in the bores!

Would this lead to problems?

These are the specs

The bore diameter is 90.47mm

The piston diameter is 90.395mm

The ring gap clearance is 0.4mm

Pistons are actually ground slightly oval towards the bottom of the skirt because of how they expand and how the gudgeon pin effects their expansion. Aluminum expands almost twice as much as iron or steel by the way, then there should be room for some oil.

I'll admit that looks like a lot more than 0.075mm of play though.

oddly enough we had the head of my friends 200tdi last night and noticed the same sort of amount of movement, also found there is a lip in no4 bore about 10mm down from the block face - you can see it and feel it with your finger

we're thinking its been like it a while, so will stick a new head gasket on and chuck it back together and see what happens! worst case scenario he'll buy a new engine from a breaker

sorry for the thread hijack - but my friends 200 went back together yesterday and still runs like a bag of carp! so i'd say the misfire and awful smoke must have been the dodgy cylinder rather than just the head gasket! new engine time for him :(

anyway - hope yours goes back together and runs properly! good luck :)

with regards the excessive play....i also beleive this is normal under worktop conditons..as there must be some CTE properties allowed for in the piston design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion

theres a bit at the bottom which specifies poor performance of cold engines.

boring but plausable..

Rich

Couldn't see the link you mentioned but you are right in what you say. Aluminum expands almost twice as much as steel and iron (as I said above) the figures are about 11x10-6 for iron and 23x10-6 for aluminium, that's per degrees celcius.

Also the piston runs hotter than the block, the block obviously is cooled by water at around 100 degrees, the piston is cooled only by oil at around 130degrees or more. In operation the piston face is exposed to temperatures approaching the melting point of aluminium and is only protected by the thermal boundary layer (that's why pinking causes so much damage in a petrol).

Anyway, pistons are ground so that they become fully cylindrical when hot, when cold they can be tapered and oval because of how the gudgeon pin effects expansion.