Fuse 17 Blowing

Hi all,

Typically, this issue started as soon as the weather turned, been using the truck all year with no issues, as soon as I go to use it "in anger", the issue began.

Also no idea what the 3rd item this fuse seems to cover, the symbol on the fuse box cover looks like an Engine shape covered by a Lightning bolt.

First noticed the problem a few weeks ago when the Brake lights didn't come on (quite a large issue with light fading as early as it does at the moment) while reversing onto my drive. Only driven it around locally since to attempt to test each "fix".

So far I have:

- Checked the brake connections at the rear corners - all fine and clean, no corrosion or none connected wires

- Checked the cables to and from the rear of the car, no grommit's missing or touching the chassis (that I could see)

- Disconnected the Towing electrics plug

- Checked the Reverse light wiring and plugs, agian no wrongly connected or corroded wires

- Disconnected the Reverse light to isolate the Brake circuit

Now the fuse is still blowing after all that, and I'm at a loss as to what else it can be, other than maybe the brake light switch (more on that in a moment).

I have now also removed the Alternator to get it refurbished since the charge light has been on nearly constant these last few weeks, now with the shape of the "other" symbol on the fuse box, could that fuse also cover the charge light? And with the alternator being dodgy at the moment, it's causing the fuse to blow, not a steady charge?

Back to the brake light switch, how exactly do I get at it? Do I go from where the pedal is and up or is there an access panel I'm currently not seeing when you go from above (in the engine bay)? My father seems convinced the switch is not to blame but I would prefer to check all options, that switch is possibly 16 years old :unsure: .

Mine is a '94 300tdi 90 Hardtop if that helps :)

Kind Regards,

Matt

Hi all,

Typically, this issue started as soon as the weather turned, been using the truck all year with no issues, as soon as I go to use it "in anger", the issue began.

Also no idea what the 3rd item this fuse seems to cover, the symbol on the fuse box cover looks like an Engine shape covered by a Lightning bolt.

First noticed the problem a few weeks ago when the Brake lights didn't come on (quite a large issue with light fading as early as it does at the moment) while reversing onto my drive. Only driven it around locally since to attempt to test each "fix".

So far I have:

- Checked the brake connections at the rear corners - all fine and clean, no corrosion or none connected wires

- Checked the cables to and from the rear of the car, no grommit's missing or touching the chassis (that I could see)

- Disconnected the Towing electrics plug

- Checked the Reverse light wiring and plugs, agian no wrongly connected or corroded wires

- Disconnected the Reverse light to isolate the Brake circuit

Now the fuse is still blowing after all that, and I'm at a loss as to what else it can be, other than maybe the brake light switch (more on that in a moment).

I have now also removed the Alternator to get it refurbished since the charge light has been on nearly constant these last few weeks, now with the shape of the "other" symbol on the fuse box, could that fuse also cover the charge light? And with the alternator being dodgy at the moment, it's causing the fuse to blow, not a steady charge?

Back to the brake light switch, how exactly do I get at it? Do I go from where the pedal is and up or is there an access panel I'm currently not seeing when you go from above (in the engine bay)? My father seems convinced the switch is not to blame but I would prefer to check all options, that switch is possibly 16 years old :unsure: .

Mine is a '94 300tdi 90 Hardtop if that helps :)

Kind Regards,

Matt

When you disconnected the rev light, where did you disconnect it- ideally at the switch on the gearbox? Iam with your dad on the brake switch,unless it has got wet, unlikely to cause a short circuit.

Nigel

When you disconnected the rev light, where did you disconnect it- ideally at the switch on the gearbox? Iam with your dad on the brake switch,unless it has got wet, unlikely to cause a short circuit.

Nigel

At first I didn't, but have done since, problem still remains.

Just to be sure I got the right connection, is the one to the rear of the Gear/Transfer Box area? Anyone have a pic of the reversing switch? Have a feeling I may have removed the wrong one now :unsure:

And I can't say with certainty that the switch hasn't got wet, quite a while back did go through a ford where the water was on top of the bonnet, wasn't sat in the water though, but agian would only be guessing if it did or didn't get wet.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Well at least thats now the Alternator fixed, ignition light goes out instantly, took the old one to be tested, was barely outputting 10v, tester suspected windings. Not bad for the original 1994 Alternator though :).

Just need to get something to eat and have a test of the brake light/fuse issue, but I fear it may be too dark by the time I finish :rolleyes:.

Regards,

Matt.

It looks like it's only the brake & reverse lights on that fuse; if that's so and the reverse switch is disconnected, it looks like possibly it could be a brake light bulbholder or something like that - if not maybe there is some bad news about your chassis loom - rubbed through to a wire perhaps ?

Nigel