Goodwinch twin speed hydraulic winch?

mick the digger!

Look rather nice. Seems to be a good alternative to a Milemarker/RED winch.

And a fair bit cheaper too, the only down side is there a bit big compared to MM or red winches.

I plan to fit it in the rear of a truck cab G wagen and use it for front and rear pulls, so its size and corresponding weight wont be an issue here.

I would love one of saleys ones, at over twice the price it think there good value for what they are but there just a bit spendy for my use.

Although I have no experience of this specific winch, I have a lot of faith in David Bowyer / Goodwinch to the extent that I doubt he'd sell it if it wasn't good!

Si

I have delt with db before and have full faith in him also, as hes the type of guy that will sell you what you need, rather than what will make him the most profit.

I was looking at one of these in the summer. Look rather nice. Seems to be a good alternative to a Milemarker/RED winch.

looks good. I think a Goodwinch will be my choice when I decide to buy a winch, their products all seem to be of a very high quality, not a bad egg amongst them.

Has anyone bought one of these, or even seen one being used?

I seen the first one at the indoor 4x4 show last year and liked the look of them (and the price) im looking to buy one at the moment and would like to hear some feed back about them, surely somones bought one?

What size pump are you planning on using and how are you going to drive it ?

What size pump are you planning on using and how are you going to drive it ?

probably somewhere in around a 30cc pump, have a selection of them here from 20 years of jcb mini diggers...grrr!

it will be engine driven, going to try driving it from the nose of the crank, but it will need a clutch ether mechanical or electric, so might not have the room and end up with a toothed belt driven pump.

There is a kit available to mount a pump on the front of the engine.

The red winches one mounts the pump on the air con pump position and uses a toothed belt to drive it from an extra pulley on the crank. Neat solution but not sure how it will handle dirt and grit building up which might make the belt start to slip.

The other system mounts the pump in front of the engine in line with the crank, we built it useing a flexable coupling and a dog clutch, so far we have built two which have been used successfully for the last year. It will run any type 2 pump you want to bolt on, the coupling used is rated high enough that it would literally rip the pump apart before it broke, the size was needed to fit in the pully not for the strength.

To fit it you will need to remove the origional fan and rad shroud and fit an electric fan. Also this system will only work on a 200tdi as the 300tdi has the engine further forward so it won't fit, although I believe it will bolt to the engine if some one was prepared to move the engine and or the radiator.

This is the mark one being made and tested for size, we ended up having to reshape the sides a bit to clear the axle.

So far we have left the dog clutch engaging manually, just open the bonnet and engage it before the event then disenage afterwards, wouldn't be to difficult to rig an air ram of some sort but we have just never got round to it or felt the need.

post-3384-049024400 1292007539_thumb.jpg

For more info on how it works in use have a word with "milemarker type s" who has been running it competing all year.

I know David Bowyer has looked at this one and one has been made for him although as yet hasn't been supplied to him.

There is a kit available to mount a pump on the front of the engine.

The red winches one mounts the pump on the air con pump position and uses a toothed belt to drive it from an extra pulley on the crank. Neat solution but not sure how it will handle dirt and grit building up which might make the belt start to slip.

The other system mounts the pump in front of the engine in line with the crank, we built it useing a flexable coupling and a dog clutch, so far we have built two which have been used successfully for the last year. It will run any type 2 pump you want to bolt on, the coupling used is rated high enough that it would literally rip the pump apart before it broke, the size was needed to fit in the pully not for the strength.

To fit it you will need to remove the origional fan and rad shroud and fit an electric fan. Also this system will only work on a 200tdi as the 300tdi has the engine further forward so it won't fit, although I believe it will bolt to the engine if some one was prepared to move the engine and or the radiator.

This is the mark one being made and tested for size, we ended up having to reshape the sides a bit to clear the axle.

So far we have left the dog clutch engaging manually, just open the bonnet and engage it before the event then disengage afterwards, wouldn't be to difficult to rig an air ram of some sort but we have just never got round to it or felt the need.

post-3384-049024400 1292007539_thumb.jpg

For more info on how it works in use have a word with "milemarker type s" who has been running it competing all year.

I know David Bowyer has looked at this one and one has been made for him although as yet hasn't been supplied to him.

thank you for the information sean, that dog clutch thats in the picture you posted, I presume as its call a dog clutch you can engage/dis-engage it with the engine running?

also, the pump is going on a mercedes 5cyl 3.0 diesel engine, so theres nothing off the self available, where is the best place so source toothed pulleys?

I have been running the RED pump system for over a year now a have had no issues with it, the crank pulley is a replacement for the original, no danger of it slipping.

Have you had a look a Saleys hydraulic twin speed air freespooled affair, proved time and time again in competition as bombproof, as fitted to the Mitsimog, he's on the forum under "Saley" as a very very good alternative....worth a look

Have you had a look a Saleys hydraulic twin speed air freespooled affair, proved time and time again in competition as bombproof, as fitted to the Mitsimog, he's on the forum under "Saley" as a very very good alternative....worth a look

Ive had a good nose at saleys, there a fabulous bit of kit, I was realy impressed at how smooth the free spool is and how well made/finished they are, but for the use this truck will see there just a bit too far out of an already stretched budget

• 1 month later...

thats the ticket! no belts or chains to worry about, how is the gear box driven from the pully, i presume you need a small shaft with two uj's like on older jcb 3cx's etc?

This is essentially the same as the one I pictured earlier in the thread (except made earlier and with a nice air ram system fitted!)

On the one I made up we used an industrial flex coupling and machined the ends to fit, one fits to the shaft and keyway of the dog clutch, the other end is machined to fit over the crank bolt and then drilled so it bolts to the front pulley using the 4 bolt holes that hold the pulley on with longer cap head bolts used. I assume this one will use a similar system. Some flex in the coupling is needed to allow for the mount to be not quite perfect.

I have also seen a system without the dog clutch and the pump coupled direct to the crank via a flex coupling, this has the advantage of being shorter but means the pump is running constantly. The pumps can only stand a certain RPM, going over occasionally is OK but constant high revs will kill them (look up cavitation for the reasons) so not the ideal way for a road going car but passable for a off road challenge vehicle which does little or no road miles.

I can supply couplings for 200tdi engines or the kit with side plates and a base that would need to be welded together, the dog clutch and pump are available from any hydraulic supplier. For other engines a bit more messing around would be needed and it would depend on the shape, size and type of the front pulley, you also need quite a bit of room infront of the engine which a 200tdi has (once you remove the origional fan) but a 300tdi doesn't with out doing quite major work (a point in favour of the toothed belt drive system).

thats the ticket! no belts or chains to worry about, how is the gear box driven from the pully, i presume you need a small shaft with two uj's like on older jcb 3cx's etc?

I've got a flange mounted on my crank pulley, that i've got as straight as possible using a dti... using a key way in that, my clutch shaft goes into it. This is all solid mounted.

I wanted to use a coupling / prop shaft, but due to space restrictions i haven't so when my clutch freaks out / bearings give up i'll have to replace / fix as required.

My truck unfortunately has a wheel base of 88" and i run an auto...so there is a limit on how far back i can move the engine. Currently about 6 or 7 inches.

Lovely engineering, Where do you get the air from? compressor in the air con spot or electric?

I run a t-max twin cylinder pump (i found the arb one to be too slow pumping up camping beds!), that fills an air tank from a lorry brake system. This runs through a little regulator and into a manifold behind the dash where i take pipes to all my switches (2 x winche gears, 2 x arbs, clutch, air line source for the beds :lol:)

G