Outriggers - is this an MOT fail, and if so, weld or replace?

Hi.

After giving a newly purchased 1987 90 a jetwash in preparation for a bit of Waxoyling I discovered two areas of penetrating rust which has been previously filled and painted over (b*******).

So, a couple of questions if I may:

1) Is this an MOT fail?

2) If I KURUST (or similar) the holes, would a welded patch over each hole (3mm steel) suffice?

3) If not, is replacing the outriggers horrendously expensive (it's way beyond my capabilities)?

Many thanks.

:)

post-27929-010979700 1291978994_thumb.jpg

post-27929-013698300 1291979015_thumb.jpg

post-27929-093125300 1291979039_thumb.jpg

Hi.

After giving a newly purchased 1987 90 a jetwash in preparation for a bit of Waxoyling I discovered two areas of penetrating rust which has been previously filled and painted over (b*******).

So, a couple of questions if I may:

1) Is this an MOT fail?

2) If I KURUST (or similar) the holes, would a welded patch over each hole (3mm steel) suffice?

3) If not, is replacing the outriggers horrendously expensive (it's way beyond my capabilities)?

Many thanks.

:)

I think any holeing of the chassis or its components might be an MOT issue. They don't look that bad tbh but its what you cant see is the stuff you need to sort out I am sure most people on here have had that sinking feeling when bits of the chassis cave in under pressure washing. They can be quite costly to get done in a garage but if you find a person that can weld you might be able to get it done for a fraction of the cost.

Some people patch the outriggers and some replace. I replaced mine and I am glad I did as their was a huge 4" square hole behind the outrigger in the chassis wall and having posted here I found it is fairly common. I would also have a good look at your chassis from front to back with a good torch and screwdriver or some use a pin hammer tapping as you go and listen for tone change or as hole appear! sorry just kidding.

The upside is its all do-able

I don't know where you are but if it helps I can let you have the welder/fabricators details if you are near-ish pm me for the info.

I don't know what the answer is about rust treatment some say cut it out or it will spread others take the view that it is just a chemical process that needs oxygen and moisture to continue so if you deny it both by treating it,it stops.

I have used that rust converter that changes the rust to a black hard skin that doesn't rust that's quite good stuff and then used cold galvanising paint that's also good stuff and you can get it from most diy shops including "screwed-fix"

I am sure wiser heads than mine will give you lots more info but its a start, good luck and dont let it get you down and dont forget if you are near-ish pm me and I will let you have said welders details.

Cheers

J

I just bought a new pair of outriggers at £42 each from DLS. Not mahoosively expensive but still a fair chunk. The point though is if you're paying somebody to weld for you it'll probably be quicker and therefore cheaper in terms of labour to weld in new rather than patch old ones...

Just my two-penneth

Edited to add: I should probably mention I had to replace my outriggers because they'd both been badly patched before. By a pigeon with diarrhoea, juding by the state of the welds...