Converting solid disc calipers into vented ?

zim

Afternoon,

We have a few calipers from a 90/110 (the ones with 46mm pistons) that suit solid discs. I would like to put these onto a vented disc. Looking at the attached picture, it looks like it's just a spacer plate in the middle...is this so ? and if so, can you get it seperately with a rebuild kit ?

Cheers

Gordon

post-9903-056066300 1292075932_thumb.jpg

make sure you are sitting down when they tell you the price, it's not a cheap kit.

either that way our find some vented caliper on ebay or from someone breaking a 300tdi Defender.

£96 for a set of spacers for 2 calipers....ouch....i think i'll spend the same on a complete axle instead :ph34r:

I bought 2 dead calipers from a rangerover for 2 pounds each on the old sodbury sortout (version with vented discs). You can take them apart and use the spacer in your larger caliper jobbies - they fit- and throw the rest away. You also need to buy longer bolts.

Daan

• 10 years later...

Thread resurrection time! Long story short I was supplied vented front discs in error for my 200tdi Defender 110 from Britcar who as we now know are defunct and thus I cannot return them. I have on the shelf a kit to rebuild the callipers that are on there but now I need some spacers to get things to work

Is there a part number for the spacers? I am not worried about the need to split them apart as I fully planned to do that anyway

If you are thinking of rebuilding the calipers, perhaps now is time to just bite the bullet and get some new?

I can't find a prt number for the spacer, not on any of the threads on here, or a quick google. Not a standard LR part of course.

10 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

If you are thinking of rebuilding the calipers, perhaps now is time to just bite the bullet and get some new?

That is the fall back option. Just annoying as I have the rebuild kit sat there, just need the spacers

My google search failed too although Daan mentions that Range Rover calliper spacers are the same which could be the way forward as someone may have a couple of scrap ones kicking about

9 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

Zeus used to make the spacers for conversions, or Bigg Red might be worth a try? 

Zues don't seem to make them anymore and Bigg Red don't list them - although that was a good shout

21 minutes ago, western said:

I have a used pair of vented calipers from my 110 in my garage, I would be willing to part with the pair of split them & send the spacers & seals. 

Thanks Ralph, will drop you a PM

• Like 1