prototype large diameter spare wheel carrier

NicTheOrange90

I have just made a prototype spare wheel carrier for the Disco's larger diameter spare wheel.

I had intended in modifying the Disco mount, but with the wiper in the way, decided on an adaptor plate. I had a 110 spare wheel mount in the garage so made up a wooden former that had the three holes from the Disco, and immediately above the three for the 110 door mount.

I now want to make a metal plate version before I take this out on the road, so if anyone knows where I can get such a beasty made let me know. Alternatively, if anyone has any better ideas, please advise...

I will probably crop the 110 mount at the bottom so the spare sits a bit lower, and does not obscure the rear window so much, but the clearance between the bumper and the wheel is not now a problem...

side view

side view no wheel

All pictures

this is probably a really daft question, but as the design shown here & the devon4x4 mount use the original bolt holes. why would this design put more stress on the door? as far as i can see the extra load is getting transfered to exactly the same place on the door.

The Devon one:

http://www.devon4x4.com/shop.php?mode=prod...at=24&subcat=33

In all honesty, probably cheaper than getting some one to make it for you.

Ian

With VAT and postage the D44 one comes to £70.00. I agree that this is a more professional looking device, and may be the cheaper option, if I include the time already spent, then getting someone to cut the 10mm steel plate, and me to drill the holes and then paint it etc.

Hmm..

Need to think about this one

this is probably a really daft question, but as the design shown here & the devon4x4 mount use the original bolt holes. why would this design put more stress on the door? as far as i can see the extra load is getting transfered to exactly the same place on the door.

It's to do with the leaverage Andy.

The wheel on the D44 carrier is basicly in the same place as the original, only a 2-3" higher. The D44 carrier also sits flush to the rear door all the way up and is of a stronger build.

NicTheOrange90's mod raises the wheel quite a bit above that of the original and, more importantly, extends the location of the spare wheel rearwards. Add to this the extra weight of the larger tyre and this rearward extention will have the effect of putting the top securing bolts, through the door frame, under stress from a pivoting motion especialy when offroad.

As an example, if you look at the side view of NicTheOranges90's one and compare it to the gap on mine with a 33x12.5R15 tyre on the D44 carrier you'll see what I mean.

cb03_870.jpg

I hope that, sort of, explains it. :)

NicTheOrange90, Please don't get me wrong here, I'm not 'dissing' your work. I think it's a great use of the materials available to come to a solution. All I'm doing here is trying to answer Andy's question.

You'll be pleased with the D44 carrier though, it's a good bit of kit! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

D44 spare wheel mount

OK, so Devon 4x4's is a little more snazzy than mine !

I put the CB Aerial mount on as well (great idea from this forum) and used a wing mirror mount to attach the thing to the D44 mount.

Also put a new front winch and bumper on - just need to decide on where to fit the front registration plate !

New front bumper #1

New front bumper #2