locating defender gearbox to engine

coxy55

Having just had the interesting experience of removing the gearbox from my diesel defender and replacing a punched through clutch release lever. I am trying to relocate the gearbox onto the engine, I have the gearbok suspended from slings and all the studs look to be in line and everything square but just cant get the box to slide on the lenngth of the studs. All the studs are by the way just located into the bell housing holes by one or two mil. Anybody got any tips for the final location. Ive tried jiggling and pushing but alac and alas to no avail so far..........help!!!

It's a pain in the arse and has taken me ages a few times before, i struggled last time and got really fed up with it, was about to give up then changed gear or moved the gear selector and she slid straight home, job done. It may help, it may not but it's worth a try.

Jon

maybe the clutch plate & gearbox shaft splines are out of line, try turning the engine with a socket & bar on the crank pulley nut.

I wondered that. Will give it a try on friday. If you hear screeming from the direction of gloucestershire it hasnt worked.....thanks for taking the time to reply. Regards

I struggled like hell on the wolf when I built it. In the end, I had one jack under the bottom of the engine, one under the gearbox to keep them in line. I then put a large bar on the crank nut and turned the engine over whilst pushing it towards the box (you may need a mate to push the box towards the engine whilst doing this as your engine is fixed by the sounds of it). It just suddenly went.

NOTE OF CAUTION: Keep all hands away from the gap as both units are heavy and when they meet it invovles alot of force..... Mind your hands and feet whilst juggling a gearbox thats on a jack, you dont wnat it dropping onto or trapping any of them... and make sure the gearbox is supported from somthing like an engine crane as well as the jack, the jack is purley there to help lift the front of the box to line it all up.

Thats just the way I did it.....