New Compressor

Tris Cocks

Hi

I have recently got a new compressor as the one i used to use was only 24L and struggled to undo 5 loose wheelnuts.

My new compressor is a belt driven 3HP 150L Abac with a 1/2"BSP outlet.

On my old compressor becuase of the power it had and the fact it was portable i wasnt using a regulator, filter oiler etc, but i have decided i better on this one but havent got a clue what i really need.

Can anyone help me with what i need to get etc, im hoping to run a 15m hose reel off it that has a 1/4" BSP inlet on it.

Cheers

Tris

I bought a sealey 1/2" (with 1/4" adapters) filter/water separator/regulator/oiler for ~£25 from my local tool shop, the auto-drain valve needed a tweak to stop it leaking but even the guys in the hydraulics shop had to admit it was good value, if not supreme quality.

If it doesn't have a regulator, there must be somewhere to fit one; you should be able to get something like a Norgren one with a water trap as well from your your local Thorite place; put a tap upstream so that you don't have to lose a tank of air if there's slight leakage. If buying hose, I'd go for 10mm internal rather than 8mm - not much price difference but better flow, and fit a PCL connector before the regulator etc in case you need absolute max pressure. Make sure you drain the tank regularly; get a better condensation tap if the one fitted is hard to use, as otherwise it causes rust (ask me how I know..)

Mogel

The other thing you need to watch out for is how you are going to mount your compressor to the floor idealy it should have rubber feet on each leg this helps reduce noise and stops the tank from cracking which is rare but can happen if the compressor is bolted to the floor. cheap option is to sit it on a couple of layers of old carpet.

Cackshifter is right about the inside hose diameter 10mm is the best for general applictaions good flow rate for tools at not much more cost. Also you can buy reducers from 1/2 to 1/4 or 1/2 to 3/8 or any other combination.

I would suggest a PCL m100 female coupler on the tank of the compressor connected to a combined air/water separator and oiler with a 1/2 inlet and outlet by a whip hose with a male m100 coupler. This gives maximmum air flow rate to the tools through the water separator. its best to keep hose and coupler diameter to an optimum as close to the tool/hose real as possible. All the stuff listed can be found in any good tool shop or ebay.

Thanks for all the advice.

Currently the compressor is mounted on a concrete floor with with a layer of carpet tiles underneath - is this likely to be enough or should i make some rubber mounts?

Another thing that i have been told is that i wont always need a lubricated supply for the likes of blowing up tyres etc, what is the best way to get around this? just oil the tools now and again?

The hose reel i have got is like this

Should be fine with the carpet tiles under it.

For blowing up tyres you should have a dry non lubricated supply of air as you don't want to get oil in your tyres. most of the combined air/water separators and oilers have a valve on top of the oiler allowing you to turn off the oil supply when you don't want it. or you can just fit a air/water separator and do like you said oil your tools every now and then.

You can get rubber compressor feet from Machine mart for about a tenner a set. Adjustable height too for uneven surfaces. Pretty good IMO.

Clean supply is good for paint, underseal, inflating, bead blasting etc. You can get inline oilers which fit in to the tools inlet or you can just oil the tool with a few drops as you use it.

Though if you've got a decent compressor - you really want a decent hardline setup with drops and drains.... good link below.

www.tptools.com/statictext/airline-piping-diagram.pdf