full width intercoolers

gelf

just bought a new full width intercooler for the disco........ wasn't going to but the price was too good.

18062006004.jpg

anyway will there be much noticeable difference to the discos power if i just fit it and dont tweek the fuel pump??........ its just that im not very technicaly minded and if i start messing too much it may never run again. :blink:

or if it needs to be tweeked i'll get someone else to do it.

graham

just bought a new full width intercooler for the disco........ wasn't going to but the price was too good.

18062006004.jpg

anyway will there be much noticeable difference to the discos power if i just fit it and dont tweek the fuel pump??........ its just that im not very technicaly minded and if i start messing too much it may never run again. :blink:

or if it needs to be tweeked i'll get someone else to do it.

graham

It will need tweaking to get a significant difference out of the intercooler. Most come with instructions for how much to adjust things - it is ever so easy to do, really, you can do it but follow the instructions./

Chris

ah ha i spy a fellow straight forward supplies customer.

a few tips from when i did mine - dont expect to do it in one night as once fitted you'll realise the pipework DOESNT FIT. i had to get a few lengths of 2" or 2 1/4" (i forget) zorst pipe to extend them. plus i took the chance to replace that pointless narrow bit of pipe in the lower hose.

i would rough up the ends of the pipe on the intercooler, as i originally had an issue with blowing the lower pipe off. quick run of sandpaper around the metal end gave the rubber hose enough grip & its never happened since.

you must have noticed you need to make your own brackets, i only did one on each side & its been fine since november (been scotland since as well) the bolts btw are the same thread as the ones holding the rad cowling together (really must replace the two i 'borrowed' oneday)

i did find i had slightly more power uphill midrange, but its not much off a difference till you tweak the engine.

im now running 18psi of boost (stock is 12psi) an a well tweaked pump. i can acclerate up hills in 5th that i used struggle up floored in 4th. oh im also on 32" tyres so you can tell the power difference.

i also found that when loaded & climbing long hills the temp didnt creep up like it used to, even now tweaked to hell it stays just below half no matter how hard its working (used to go to about 2/3s).

id never tweaked a pump or indeed owned a diesel till i got my disco, but several readings of the thread in the technical section here & a couple of weeks of trial & error have resulted in a power increase im happy with. i think i could wind mine up a touch more, but i dont need the power so why risk the engine?

I found Andy at Alisport very friendly, he would probably help you even if you didn't buy the unit from him.

I put a full width intercooler in my 200tdi 90 and had to adjust the diaphragm. Take the cover off on the top of the pump (mark which way it went in just incase you get in wrong and have to put it back), and the adjust it so the tapered bit at the bottom is virtually straight up and down, if you know what I mean!

Dave

excellent bit in the tech archive on how to do it, i personally wouldn't turn the diaphgram more than 90 deg and would work at 30deg increments with long test runs inbetween so you can gauge what you reckon is best for your use. you will see the needle profile and be able to see where max fuelling occurs depending on how far its rotated and which profile is therefore exposed. the needle will have marked the profiles so you can work out where it was originally if its already been tunned. i suggest you replace the screws with bolts holding the top cover on when you do it.

well i have only done it twice and first time with TC guidance

Hi Gelf,

I've sent you a PM to your DOC account with a link to a recent thread on there. I will see if I'm allowed to copy the pics across to here as well, but may have to wait until I get home this evening