Fitting a Diesel Heater

tweetyduck

i have a Webasto AirTop 2000 ST to fit and the book says i can't tap into the fuel pipe from the tank. They want another feed directly off the tank or a separate tank. Has anyone fitted the tee piece to the main fuel line on a 300TDi ? The extra feed is to "preclude any effect of pressure" according to the book. So its either fit a new standpipe to the tank or get a separate tank. Both of which seem like a bit of a faff compared to teeing the fuel line on top of the chassis rail.

Any help appreciated.

I have a separate tank with my Eberspacher but it was essential as the heater is diesel and the 110 is petrol. I have a 5 litre plastic tank in the rear nearside tool locker and the heater sips diesel so refilling it hasn't been that much of an ordeal. I don't suppose you could use the return from the pump to the tank and add a reservoir pot in line of this? Saves having to get at your main tank

If the Webasto pump is anything like the Eberspacher one it draws quite happily from the 5 litre tank

I think what they mean is that their ickle pump is going to take the odd sip of fuel, and if there's a torrent of diesel being sucked or blown up or down the pipe it's liable to either never get any fuel, or overcome the internals and flood your heater. They may be being a bit alarmist or generalising (it's impossible to test what works on every vehicle).

See also:

http://ep90.com/index.php?id=45

As Fridge says, it's a generalisation thing - they don't know exactly what vehicle it's fitted to. They don't know if you have an in-tank pump or external, if it's high pressure or low pressure etc.

Also, if you Tee into the main fuel feed, you increase the risk of adding a small air bleed and having fuel drain back overnight, causing starting problems. Also, if you use the main pickup, your heater could drink your last pint of diesel overnight and leave you stranded.

If you have a usual LR setup, then you can Tee into the return line instead - on a tdi SWB there is a dip tube on it to avoid aerating the fuel. I think I remember fitting a longer dip to one truck - it wants to go near the bottom of the tank, but not all the way. I've seen dips of different lengths, but I don't know if they were original or had been modified. NRC9548 petrol or NRC9678 diesel, but I'm not sure what the differences are. Not sure what the options are for LWB.

For td5, Webasto says there is a plastic stub on the sender unit, which is cut off and a dip tube fitted into it and secured with hose clips.

thanks guys.

@Tony. any pointers at a good none return valve.

My 300Tdi sucks fuel up the pipe doesn't it? So, the none return is a good idea. The heater and engine are just both sucking fuel. In fact if i never run the heater whilst driving there will never ever be an issue. Even if i do its just a war between the two pumps.

Just missed TSDs post...I think i need to do some looksee under the 110.

thanks guys.

@Tony. any pointers at a good none return valve.

My 300Tdi sucks fuel up the pipe doesn't it? So, the none return is a good idea. The heater and engine are just both sucking fuel. In fact if i never run the heater whilst driving there will never ever be an issue. Even if i do its just a war between the two pumps.

Just missed TSDs post...I think i need to do some looksee under the 110.

We source from Hyphose, depending on what size pipe.

Tony i might take you up on that If it stops pissing it down i might get a chance to look today.

Although i'm not sure i want to drop my tank....

Am i correct in thinking the fuel return is the pipe to the top of the tank as the RAVE disk indicates? This is what TSD mentions as it has the dip tube to stop air coming back. If i should fit it on the return i might need a reservoir like zoltan mentions. Any clues to what im' looking for?

This is what you need Neill

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eberspacher-Stand-Pipe-Land-Rover-50mm-Filler-Neck-/200529166504

It connects in the filler pipe to the tank and the long pipe runs internally within the hose into the tank. You then connect your fuel pick up pipe from the eberspacher to the external outlet. Unfortunately this one has sold, but have a search for similar. Its what i've got for mine (not that i've fitted the bloody thing yet which is great with this weather!!!)

No need to drop the tank to fit this either, just cut the filler tube abd insert this in there.

Reb, Thanks a million.:):):)

Now thats a good idea !

Now i just need one before Xmas and the New Year. I'm sleeping in the 110 on New Years eve and it will be cold without a working heater. (i'll be fine, she will not be)

Tony, i'll take a rain check until Rebs idea becomes too expensive........you are correct a "bit easier". ;)

Now thats a good idea !

Now i just need one before Xmas and the New Year. I'm sleeping in the 110 on New Years eve and it will be cold without a working heater. (i'll be fine, she will not be)

Tony, i'll take a rain check until Rebs idea becomes too expensive........you are correct a "bit easier". ;)

if you are really stuffed for getting that pipe, get a five litre plastic can and use that for your NYE camp out and that buys you time to sort the tank feed. There are quite a few places you can fiddle the fuel line inside without drilling

Now thats a good idea !

I have a used one of those things.£15 inc p&p.

Now thats a good idea !

I think the other good thing about it is that the pipe doesnt go down as far as the engine fuel pick up, so if the tank is low, the heater (even though it just sips diesel) does not risk draining your tank so you cant go anywhere!

problem is my filler isn't 50mm ! Bugger.

Looks like its 70mm ish....which they also make.....but no stock...and they are £70 or something

Is the 70mm the internal or external diameter of the filler tube? Remember the attachment goes inside the tube. I'm just being hopeful - as i suspect you have already checked that!

According the the EBER main dealer the 72mm is pretty common so i can only say that what i have.

I'm pretty certain its a NTC2337 so listed as 7cm or even 9cm on some web sites. I've not checked the internal dimensions but will this weekend. Good Point !

Thanks.

ps i've had it running today out of a Jerry can and very happy.........what a bugger to prime the in line filter !!!

Be careful about thinking that you can run the heater on red and it's OK. A friend of mine who works for HMRC raised his eyebrows somewhat when I foolishly let slip that I could use red for my Eberspacher. His view was that red is for agricultural use only and he thought that even running a heater on it would be contravening the law and be liable for duty :(

I've measured the intenal diameter of the rubber pipe and this corresponds to the outside diameter of the solid filler neck that goes to the body work and filler cap.

It's 60mm external on the filler neck and that the same as the sealed rubber as it goes around it. The outside diameter of the rubber is more like 65mm than 70mm or 72mm. Stumped.......

I've found the old filler pipe i replaced and in the middle it is 50mm (ish). The ends are somewhat stretched to go over the neck and tank end. So i presume the 50mm one would fit.

The heater is almost full installed bar the fuel supply. I've got to find a nice place for the heater control that we can get to from the driving position and from the sleeping position. I'll take some pictures once i'm done. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

:)