First welding project - DIY spotlight bar

Deej

I wanted to fit a couple of spots to the front bumper of my disco, and decided that rather than fork out 45 quid for a lighting bar, I could make one for virtually nothing. Having recently aquired basic welding skills (courtesy of the MOT man ;) ) I thought this would make a good little project. Needless to say, I found welding clean 2mm steel on a workbench to be a joy given my only previous experience involved welding upside down in a rotten wheelarch made from 0.8mm plate. The box section used was 1'' square, approx 2mm thick and was a table leg in a former life! Cue pictures:

img0698f.jpg

img0699l.jpg

img0702so.jpg

img0705m.jpg

High beam feed (blue with white tracer) spliced to control spots (with switch added to disable for use on the road):

img0707g.jpg

img0706qi.jpg

img0709am.jpg

img0710ok.jpg

The bare steel was coated in a high zinc primer and then a thick layer of black hammerite:

img0714g.jpg

img0716e.jpg

The finished product:

img0725d.jpg

img0726h.jpg

This doesn't come close to some of the amazing projects on this forum, but I was fairly pleased with my first effort, and it has certainly encouraged me to attempt some other fabrication projects in the future.

Dave

Needless to say, I found welding clean 2mm steel on a workbench to be a joy given my only previous experience involved welding upside down in a rotten wheelarch made from 0.8mm plate.

I could tell you were also a Discovery owner without seeing the pictures when I read this!

Looks like a good job

Charlie