Finally no leak!

baberair

Having had a Disco 2 that has its own rain inside and having to replace the radio due water damage :angry: . I have a dry interior. I was given a tip to try vaseline, not just a small amount but lots, enough to fill around the glass. It is like using a silicon except it is more flexible. i also smeared it at the joint between the frame and the roof. pressing the metal of the roof i noticed it flexed away from the sunroof frame so water will be 'sucked' in under it(cpt tollys didnt work for me :( ) i made sure i pushed it under the gap and hey presto no interior rain. It does take a lot of vaseline i bought 8 small pots from makro and used 6 and a half. Itts worth a try, im just waiting to see how it performs in the cold but having it dry even after one bout of rain is a result. :)

I would be interested to know if this works and it's longevity. I have a disco 1 with twin sunroofs (I know, should have listened but they seemed like an attractive bonus at the time) and the guy I bought it off told me they didn't leak (again, yeh I know) but after the first downpour it was clear the front one did so I sealed it with duck tape which appeared to solve it for a while but the tape beaks down really quickly and is not cheap so this operation becomes quite boring very quickly. We then had heavy snow which when melted seemed to show up a leak from the rear as well so I sealed around the glass of both sunroofs with silicone, I did this as I did intend to take out the head liner to find the point if ingress and rectify it however I still have water coming in even after sealing around the plastic trim as well thinking the bonding may have broken down. My next step is to open both roofs wack a load of silicone around the edges/seals and close them sealing them both shut, I don't really want to do this but as they sound like a baby's rattle when they're open so I only ever used them while it was parked up in car parks in the summer so it wouldn't get too hot in there I am beginning to wonder if that's the best option but if your idea works it may be a viable alternative as I could still use the roofs in the summer.

its only a days work to strip out the sunroofs , clean , fit new seals , mastic and put it all back together

i did mine 3 years ago and use the sunroofs alot in summer , and i'm still dry & cosy .

disco 300tdi

there are lots of write ups if you google it.

john

Having had a Disco 2 that has its own rain inside and having to replace the radio due water damage :angry: . I have a dry interior. I was given a tip to try vaseline, not just a small amount but lots, enough to fill around the glass. It is like using a silicon except it is more flexible. i also smeared it at the joint between the frame and the roof. pressing the metal of the roof i noticed it flexed away from the sunroof frame so water will be 'sucked' in under it(cpt tollys didnt work for me :( ) i made sure i pushed it under the gap and hey presto no interior rain. It does take a lot of vaseline i bought 8 small pots from makro and used 6 and a half. Itts worth a try, im just waiting to see how it performs in the cold but having it dry even after one bout of rain is a result. :)

I wonder.... what will happen when the weather gets any better, what when the sun shines: won't you be showered by molten vaseline?????