Loose upperlink bushes

Sabre

After driving some bad roads recently, I decided to replace all the suspension bushes on my Disco TDi. I pressed out the bushes from the upperlinks, and when I lined up the bush in the one to press it in, found that I could press the bush in by hand. I tried the old bush, and could push that in by hand as well. a Third bush was tried, with the same effect.

On the other link, the bush pressed in with the normal tight fit

Any idea why one link's hole would appear to have gone bigger ?

All help appreciated

Corrosion and/or excessive wear. More likely the latter.

By upperlinks, do you means the rear axle A-frame arms?

Thanks LML,

Yes, as per Mr Haynes the upper links are the rear axle A-frame arms

Yes, you're right, no corrosion visible, so must be wear. I am considering putting two centre punch marks in the hole to prevent the bush from moving in the arm

Otherwise I will just replace the arm if no other option is available, though buying a new arm in South Africa can cost an arm and a leg :)

Thanks LML,

Yes, as per Mr Haynes the upper links are the rear axle A-frame arms

Yes, you're right, no corrosion visible, so must be wear. I am considering putting two centre punch marks in the hole to prevent the bush from moving in the arm

Otherwise I will just replace the arm if no other option is available, though buying a new arm in South Africa can cost an arm and a leg :)

Hi Johan,

you could give them at spot weld to keep them in place. I found out that this was done on my RRC, when I changed my front radius arm bushings. Wasn´t due to excessive wear though, as it took over ten tons pressure to get them out, and the new ones got a really tight fit.

Regards,

Bo