Carrying oversize loads

daveturnbull

I've recently bought a new house, which needs a bit of work doing here and there. The Land Rover is proving to be very useful in getting loads of materials back from various builders merchants, but I think I may be pushing the boundaries of what I'm allowed to carry. Not so much in weight, but size.

I'd like to avoid getting it horrifically wrong and being stopped for a 'chat' with Mr Plod, so does anyone know the rules on how much a load can overhang the limits of the vehicle, and in what directions? Vehicle is a 100" hybrid pickup, with a cage (very useful for strapping things to) so the load bed is a smidge bigger than that of a 90.

i would like to know how much weight a 90 can carry? i had a 1 ton bag dropped in the back full of gravel plus about 10 x 25kg bags on the passenger seat and wherever they would fit... plus two winches / roll cage and the usual extras.. am i with in the limits of the truck? it drove OK and the OME springs handled it well i thought.

i would like to know how much weight a 90 can carry? i had a 1 ton bag dropped in the back full of gravel plus about 10 x 25kg bags on the passenger seat and wherever they would fit... plus two winches / roll cage and the usual extras.. am i with in the limits of the truck? it drove OK and the OME springs handled it well i thought.

Ha! I believe the standard 90 is 600 kg's...... you were obviously a tad over!

Maximum gross vehicle weight of a standard suspension 90 is 2400 kg. The kerb weight (vehicle + fuel + driver) is about 1650kg.

So that gives you about a 750kg payload. Your roll cage and winches will come out of that too.

Of course these are the legal weights, what the vehicle will actually take is another thing. The rated towing weight of a Defender tops out at 4000kg, but we all know they'll pull 12.5ton artics all day long :)

The main difficulty of being overloaded would be being frog marched off to a weigh bridge if stopped by one of the increasing number of VOSA spot checks. We had a number of multi agency ones earlier in the year, HMRC, Police, VOSA. 30+ Hi-vis jackets that must have been visible from space