Indicator problem

Janny

I have a '98 110 LWB County. He badly needs a wash after being used daily for 3 weeks with all the salt/crud on the roads but he lives out and with -10 forecast last night I settled for washing the lights and windows with nice warm water. I'm sure this has nothing to do with the problem but means I can be 100% certain that when I walked away everything was as it should be. About 1 1/2 hours later a neighbour knocked my door to tell me I had some lights on. I went out to find the left hand indicators (front, back and wing repeater) all lit, but steady, not flashing. They had obviously come on all by themselves and I couldn't turn them off. The ignition was turned off, of course. The right hand indicators are fine. There was nothing I could do overnight except disconnect the battery. This morning I reconnected it and they were off ....until I indicated left, then the same thing happened. Reading another post here I thought it might have something to do with the hazzards. I pulled the plug off the back of the hazzards, pulled the hazzard light fuse (there doesn't seem to be a fuse for the indicators, or not that I can find. I haven't had the vehicle long and I don't have a workshop manual for it. I knew I shouldn't have given away the old one with the vehicle!) and removed the flasher relay, all to no avail. In the end I removed all the left hand bulbs, but I need to get it sorted asap or even sooner. Any ideas out there?

As the topic title states, my TD5 110's left indicator is on with no flashing, I've ordered an new relay and hazard light switch as i had intended to replace them at some point anyway.

But I suspect that this may be caused by a short somewhere? What would be the best way of finding the short, if the replacement relay/switch does not fix the problem?

I have the same problem, just posted a new thread awaiting moderation, I suspect my problem may be a short somewhere.

Edited by western

Well, I got sick of waiting for the royal mail so walked to Halford's and got a "Halford's flasher unit number 206" and that seems to do the job.

Though this relay seems to not flash the trailer test light. So hopefully the flasher unit in the post will fix that.

Good news is I can go and get her last minute present!

After driving around a bit today the light was back on, parked up and had a fiddle with what wires were to hand, and it appears I have a short somewhere in the rear right wheel arch.

There is a connector block a load of wires and electrical tape, giving it a wobble will bring the life indicators on and off.

Could it be shorting with the reverse light? It isn't blowing any fuses, and I presume that this will be on the same wiring rig.

This seems to be where the wiring for the indicators are attached to the main loom?

Is there a diagram somewhere I can look at?

Could this be a similar problem for you Janny?

I've found the short, whom ever had this vehicle before me made a rotten job on the electrics.

The wires had been stripped from their conduit and hacked at with a lot of loose ends left open with out being capped off.

This has then filled with salty crud causing the short on the left side indicators.

So I have patched it up the best I can and everything is still working. Let's see how this goes.

Sorry for the delay on coming back but it's been a bit of a busy time. I have been told that the problem I have is with the multi function unit, which apparently my vehicle has and my old one got along fine without. I'm not convinced of this and having searched the Haynes manual and various wiring diagrams I can't find any mention of it. I should perhaps have mentioned that when the stalk is set to indicate left the relay clicks once. I don't know if this is significant, a fault, or just because the whole left side of the system is screwed up. With my Christmas present of a workshop manual under my arm I will be out tomorrow looking for shorts (the electrical kind!). I guess the reason the indicators could have a fault and come on with the ignition off is because of the hazzards? In the meantime, if any of you are around the Somerset/Devon area and see a red 110 turning left without indicating, please read my body language and keep off the horn (not that I believe Land Rover drivers would be so lacking in understanding).