Tyre Choices - whats available ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

I was very impressed with the mudzilla (which is a copy of the mickey thompson). It has the big v-shape which makes it selfcleaning increadibly well. It came actually close to what a simex could do, and very good road manners compared to a simex (and half the noise).

To illustrate what I mean look at this picture:

DSC01726.JPG

Stuck up to the axles in sticky mud, but the tyres completely open.

The mudzilla is very wide (13.5) but the mickey thompson has more choices, for a bit more pennys.

Daan

Mudzillas are indeed superb - but I would not describe them as well mannered on the road, mine have half a kilo of lead on each front wheel plus balancing beads and they still shake by about 50mph, and being crossplies the steering is a bit icky and tends to wander all over the road compared to a decent set of radials like BFG.

For that reason I'm shortly getting a set of new MT's, either GT Adventuro MT, BFG MT2 or Hankook RT03, haven't decided which yet, still waiting for the BFGs to arrive so I can see how wide they are as most of the MT2s are narrow for their size which is not what I want.

i use kumho kl71's i have 35x 12.50 they stand at aprox 34 inches tall... i have not balanced them and have no need to as they perform faultlessly, as did the 33's that i had before that covered aprox 80,000 miles.

i have used the cooper stt's and to be honest find them horrible, they hold stones and clog with mud. more worryingly they dont seem to stop any ware near as well as the kumho's. we have a set of stt's on my girlfriends truck and the side walls are deteriorating terrible and will be replaced with kumhos asap!

the hankook RT03 is allso an excellent tyre...

Speaking as somebody who sells tyres (among other things) there is F all of anything available at the moment, some of our stuff has been on back order for about six months so if you find something you like, buy it quick!!

My shortlist is based on what I do with the vehicle which requires reasonable road manners; for what I think Nige does I think I'd discount the Hankooks as not being aggressive enough.

M8090 Creepy Crawler

Appears to be L Rated :(

Mickey thompson Baja Claw - 35 x 12.50 x 16 is a Q :)

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/truck.php?item=BajaClawRadial

Nige

This is also the tyre of choice for the outback challenge, so it is good on sand as well. This makes it a really good all round tyre.

The other thing I found is that all of a sudden the steering became incredibly light, which was the opposite from what I expected being so wide. Also the handling became like it was on rails, compared to the old simex I was used to.

Daan