jj fearn and rakeway

forestgrump

I had the misfortune of needing to collect my daughter from Oxford at the end of her term. Of course the trip coincided with some pretty carp weather. To avoid the M40 ( shut ) I ended up on the B4027 between Woodeaton and Noke, at the bottom end of a long ice covered incline I found a stranded A&E ambulance with crew attempting to dig themselves out of the snow. Thankfully I had a good tow rope and with a bit of care, in low box, we managed to pull the Merc Sprinter free and up the hill.

Needless to say I was very impressed with my 90, not least because the driver of the ambulance guessed an all up weight of 4+ ton. It may just be post rationalising an expensive bit of modification but I'm pretty sure my factory Defender wouldn't have managed the task, but with a tune by Jeremy and a clutch/transmission rebuild by Rakeway it managed the task with ease.

So guys, thanks ! I know on one particular evening your work made a real difference.

• 2 weeks later...

as I said, just post-rationalising the spend !

having said that 180bhp of fearne tune and intercooler did require a re-think on brakes, clutch etc etc, glad to say the clutch rakeway built will probably outlive the defender !... however had I known it practically ensured Christmas would be spent as un-official recovery vehicle I might well have stuck with a much more ordinary family saloon ....... spent today winching, grit spreading, jump starting, towing...........

dont be surprised what a Landrover will do, have a look at my avatar, thats my 90 2.25 petrol only mod is the tyres, the Tanker was full & weighed 21.5 tons !!! (did melt about 1000 miles of my tyres though :angry2:

John

Touche~ In winters too long ago for many of you on this forum to have been around, never mind driving LR's, it was not uncommon for standard 'leafers' to assist 32ton artics when they (the trucks) lost traction.

Needless to say I was very impressed with my 90, not least because the driver of the ambulance guessed an all up weight of 4+ ton.

Newer ones with the big metal box and tail lift on the back are 5.5t fully kitted and with driver, attendant and patient.

I once saw a SWB 2a V8 tow start a coach with a dodgy starter motor so a tuned 90 should make short work of a little ambulance. :)

it was indeed a big sprinter with tail lift..

Normally I'd have regarded it as a gentle pull; it was the incline of the hill, the ice, the deep snow and an ascent littered with vehicles that couldn't get any further that made the thing impressive to me ! It was definitely a day when the only vehicles moving were Defenders ... It's a stubborn bit of kit the TD5

Sorry to be negative but my completely standard 20yr old 110 3.5 V8 towed a fully loaded 40t artic a mile up hill backwards on sheet ice. She was a little hot when I got to the top and unhocked and the snow plouge took over. The driver had been trying to get up the hill for two hours so it was a tad slippery

Your underestamating the ability of your truck.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be negative but my completely standard 20yr old 110 3.5 V8 towed a fully loaded 40t artic a mile up hill backwards on sheet ice. She was a little hot when I got to the top and unhocked and the snow plouge took over. The driver had been trying to get up the hill for two hours so it was a tad slippery

Your underestamating the ability of your truck.

I would happily pay to see a 3.5v8 tow a 40t lorry up a hill backwards.

Im sorry, thats absolute codswallop!

MOG, everyones seen worlds strongest man, there are plenty of people in the world whom can pull a lorry with sheer body strength.

Ofcourse i landrover can pull a 12tonne lorry on the flat, infact it wouldnt take much BHP at all (i forget the maths i learnt at uni)

But when people fantasise about pulling a 40tonne "fully loaded" lorry UP hill on sheet ice... well ive drive my 90 on enough sheet ice to know it can barely pull itself up it.

This isnt a argument of power, because i appreciate a landy would pull a loaded artic on the flat, in low range... maybe

A wouldnt be able to get sufficient traction to pull a 40tonne artic up hill - no way.

2ton landy pulling 40ton lorry? errr no.

Some people on these forums live in fairy land!!

MOG, everyones seen worlds strongest man, there are plenty of people in the world whom can pull a lorry with sheer body strength.

Ofcourse i landrover can pull a 12tonne lorry on the flat, infact it wouldnt take much BHP at all (i forget the maths i learnt at uni)

But when people fantasise about pulling a 40tonne "fully loaded" lorry UP hill on sheet ice... well ive drive my 90 on enough sheet ice to know it can barely pull itself up it.

This isnt a argument of power, because i appreciate a landy would pull a loaded artic on the flat, in low range... maybe

A wouldnt be able to get sufficient traction to pull a 40tonne artic up hill - no way.

I stated what I did with a RRC some years ago and I know I was not living in fairy land.

So the Traffic Officers never pull arctics off the motorway then...?

Geoff Capes never pulled a truck?

It's not about comparing gross weight. It is about overcoming inertia - I know for a fact that I can push a-lots-of-tonne ship away from the quayside.

Also, don't forget that the LR may be providing that extra % of tractive effort that the "stuck" vehicle needed to get moving.

On the other hand, just because you can't comprehend something, doesn't mean its not true!!! :rolleyes:

I think you will find unless you have metal studded tyres "on sheet ice" would be impossible!!!! I think you will find it's more like "in icy conditions" that you all did this feat!!

I myself have pulled a fully laden arctic up a "slight slope" that rear wheel drive cars were struggling on in my old 3.0 surf, it took loads of spinning of wheels and time to get him moving but then was ok but very slow until we hit the better gritted flat bit, you certainly knew it was there even with low box. something to also remember is that a light 4x4 can stop better in ice than a heavy lorry...I had to pull off again and give him more room even with his air-brakes don't matter how good the brakes are when the wheels slide! :o