1999 P38 diesel wont go

yella 90

my grandads got a problem with his p38 rangie

he has owned it for a year now, and for that duration he has allways had to lock/unlock it with the key at the door as the fob doesnt work, and its never given any issues

however yesterday he came to unlock it, and only the drivers door unlocked, all the others stayed locked.

thinking nothing of it he then tried to start it, only to find that the engine is now immobilised.

ive tried putting in the EKA code, however im unsure if its the right no written in the book.

ive told him to ring land rover tomorrow and ask them for the code ( assuming that is who you ring to get it ? )

has anyone had these problems before ?

is it just the actuator thats gone up the creek in the drivers door ?

any pointers would be great, wish he had listend to me and got a td5 :rolleyes:

dan

guessing at the drivers lock switch, if the rest aren't unlocking. are the interior lights or drivers console coming on when unlocked? maybe frozen or rod dropped off in back of door. don't try and just swap lock mech out though, they are coded to becm. is the battery o.k voltage wise?

does console give you any clues, what is displayed on message centre?

The newer eka friendly range rovers 99 on, can be re-synched by connecting battery negative, locking drivers door opening drivers door then inserting key ign to pos 2 within 30 secs. Then turn off and lock/open using keyfob. Way to tell if it is compatible is the newer ones generally had egr valve under bonnet on intake manifold.

relies on door switch working ok.

whatever you do don't get locked out due to superlocking. leave a door slightly ajar if you can. Check the battery is holding charge 12.5-12.7v off.

guessing at the drivers lock switch, if the rest aren't unlocking. are the interior lights or drivers console coming on when unlocked? maybe frozen or rod dropped off in back of door. don't try and just swap lock mech out though, they are coded to becm. is the battery o.k voltage wise?

does console give you any clues, what is displayed on message centre?

The newer eka friendly range rovers 99 on, can be re-synched by connecting battery negative, locking drivers door opening drivers door then inserting key ign to pos 2 within 30 secs. Then turn off and lock/open using keyfob. Way to tell if it is compatible is the newer ones generally had egr valve under bonnet on intake manifold.

relies on door switch working ok.

whatever you do don't get locked out due to superlocking. leave a door slightly ajar if you can. Check the battery is holding charge 12.5-12.7v off.

battery charge is fine that was the first thing i tested, however it was put on charge all of yeasterday and overnight. still no joy today.

the interior lights dont come on when unlocked nor do the indicators flash anymore,

im sure its got to be down to the actuator in the door.

will carry on playing though :lol:

if the cluster doesn't light up and or the interior lights don't come on, i'm guessing the car doesen't know its open or awake even. The switch in the door lock sends a wake up signal to the becm with the lock code "authorising key access" you then get 30 secs to put the key in ign and turn to pos 2, there is a passive immobiliser in the fob (which doesn't need the handset battery) which gets interrogated by the column ignition switch (makes sure it isn't just a screwdriver).

In short you door switch is not working. not telling the car to wake up. probably using the door lock with key for so long has a negative effect for a car that is meant to use it rarely. It may be door card off time to have a look see.

hope you get it sorted

Pete

I think you have just confirmed my thoughts about the actuator,

I take it that it is possable for them to freeze ? The landy hasnt been moved for a week or so and its been kin freezing here and the landy is exposed to the eliments.

I think ill take the door card off tomorrow and see as ive got tomorrow off now

If anyone else has any thoughts aswel please share

Thanks very much

Dan