Twin Axle vs Tri Axle Trailer ?

zim

On 2/22/2019 at 2:14 PM, mathewd said:
I know this post is from a while back and I don't mean to start up the whole debate as such.

But I'm in the middle of ordering a Transport Trailer, having narrowed it down to a Brian James Trailer.
I appreciate it's not necessarily Land Rover related but I trust there will be more experienced trailers users here than anywhere else.

The dilemma is as before, Twin or Triple Axle???

It has been suggested that the triple is much more stable when towing heavy weight, it has also been suggested that it is, in fact, easier to manoeuvre with a triple (Not that twin is difficult) which is contrary to some previous comments, it has been noted, however, that triples do tend to scrub tyres much quicker. 

These are the trailers that I've narrowed down to. (FYI - The largest vehicle I'll be carrying is a Range Rover, but mostly Audi,s BMW's and Discovery Sports )
FYI - The wheels are 10" on triple and 12" on the twin if that makes a difference 

http://www.brianjames.co.uk/range/range_details.aspx?id=&rid=45 - T6 TRANSPORTER - 230-6552 or T4 TRANSPORTER 230-6443

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Any thoughts, opinions and suggestion are very welcome.

I can highly recommend the T6 transporter trailer. we have one at work and it has covered literally tens of thousands of miles in the last 3 years, from UK short trips to transporting cars to morrocco and supporting events out there. (their road quality is somewhat more questionable than even the UK!

It's quiet, not like the equivalent Ifor trailer that it replaced. It's well built, smooth, follows extremely well and if you have a blowout loaded with a tri axle trailer at speed there is much more chance of keeping it together and bringing it to a safe halt.

Yes, you do have higher service costs, that's undeniable and certainly a factor, but the brakes rarely need replacing. I've only just put a set of wheel bearings and brakes on our own Tri axle Graham Edwards trailer last year, we bought that in 2007 and it does get used more than average. 

Have 3 axle and it has been everywhere with too many things..

Before going the Brian James route, have you checked the Numax / Hulco / Anssems etc. ones that are made across the North Sea ?

Could be interesting given the pound versus €€ etc.

On 11/30/2012 at 12:18 PM, zim said:

When i put this post up years ago it was my RR P38, so what's that about a 110 ?

I still prefer towing my tri axle now with the truck. This has a 156" wheelbase i think.

G

How have you found the towing when empty? You mentioned a while back that the trailer bounced around like a goodun! Is that the same or have you found a solution?

FYI - I'm in the process of getting the 230-6552 T6 trailer, Tilt Lift with the full-width rear tail panel. Did consider the 230-5452

On 2/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, Arjan said:

Have 3 axle and it has been everywhere with too many things..

Before going the Brian James route, have you checked the Numax / Hulco / Anssems etc. ones that are made across the North Sea ?

Could be interesting given the pound versus €€ etc.

I did have a look at some of the German ones, have to say, some very impressive units..!
These units look incredible! Good axle and suspension technology, but very expensive but seem to be worth it. I'll maybe look at these in a couple of years when I can hopefully afford them.
Algema Fit-Zel
https://www.algema.de/int/en/overview-trailers/at-series/

We buy every 5-7 year a good used Hulco / Numax 3-axle. (400 x 200 flat deck. 3.500 kgs. MAM, 2.800 kgs. payload) that runs on 3 1.500 kgs. axles. Will set you back about € 5.000 incl. VAT but so worth the money. Come with ramps, hooks etc. Not covered with a modified tarpaulin, it will move the Ninety and the Hybrid under cover or 100 bales of hay without any problems. Usu. we sell them again here in France, on French plates, for about 20 % less than we paid for it so you can see why we do this.

Ride is so different from IF. 4 Mtrs. will happily transport a 110, the 5 mtr. one is ideal for the 130 - the 6 mtr. deck one we find just too long but I had one with a tarpaulin and it would easily load 150 bales of hay and be totally stable. 

Have a look here (https://www.deboer-aanhangwagen.nl/zoek/?p=hulco) to see what I mean

Serious money for a trailer, yes - but money well spent.

• 3 weeks later...

I've since gone from a twin axle Ifor CT177 to a tri axle Ifor tiltbed (TB5021-353). I loved the CT177 and still miss it when I'm loading cars on my own. But I needed/wanted something more versatile, hence the choice for a tiltbed. Despite my earlier reservation (see also my earlier post) I went with a tri-axle. Main reason was the lower loading height because of the smaller tires (about 3" lower). Weight is only 50kg over the twin axle, and technical GVW is a bit higher. I don't notice much difference when towing, it's a very stable trailer, as was the CT177. When manoevering, it can be a bit unpredictable as the weight shifts from one axle to the other, especially on uneven ground. Just a minor detail, and I'm very happy with my choice.

Filip