90 Defender new owner - few questions

Hello All

I swapped my modded Discovery today for a 200Tdi 90.

It's got a few mods on it all ready - but not as many as it's going to get !!

I've put my 265\75\16 Insa Special Tracs on it ( it's already lifted )

Q1 - Will the speedo be reading correctly with these size tyres on ?

Q2 - The dash lights, just seem to be a dull green glow - is this normal, any upgrades available so I can actually see the gauges ?

Q3 - I will be fitting my X9 Winch to it when I buy a new bumper later this week - what's the best route for the winch cables ?

Q4 - Performance wise, it's down on the Disco - I was thinking about fitting a bigger intercooler ( possibly off a Saab ) , would there be any problems fitting this full size IC in front of the radiator ? Then I'll give the pump a tweek.

Q5 - Gearing - I'm thinking of fitting a Disco transfer 'box to give it better legs on the road - is this a good choice thinking about the tyres I'm running ?

Q6 - Can you fit a full cage with a Safari snorkel in place, or am I better off getting a different type of snorkel ?

Q7 - I'm going to fit a rear axle off a Disco ( when I find one ) to get rid of the drums - any pitfalls with this ?

Q8 - Will a Swing Away spare carrier manage the weight of my spare Insa ? Would the back door support the weight if not ?

That's all for now - thanks for any info.

I'll answer the ones I can in red :)

Q1 - Will the speedo be reading correctly with these size tyres on ?

That depends on whether the drive gear has been altered, but probably not. Check it with a decent GPS.

Q2 - The dash lights, just seem to be a dull green glow - is this normal, any upgrades available so I can actually see the gauges ?

As above, see here: http://www.retroanac...a-200tdi300tdi/

Q3 - I will be fitting my X9 Winch to it when I buy a new bumper later this week - what's the best route for the winch cables ?

The safest and most direct route would probably be straight down the side of the nearside chassis rail to the seatbox. Some protection would be in order too, as they're wired directly to the battery you don't want a short!

Q4 - Performance wise, it's down on the Disco - I was thinking about fitting a bigger intercooler ( possibly off a Saab ) , would there be any problems fitting this full size IC in front of the radiator ? Then I'll give the pump a tweek.

Quite commonly done I think, 200Tdis are overcooled so I doubt you'd see cooling issues.

Q5 - Gearing - I'm thinking of fitting a Disco transfer 'box to give it better legs on the road - is this a good choice thinking about the tyres I'm running ?

Can't comment directly on this one, I know people who have fitted Disco t-boxes and they're happy with them.

Q6 - Can you fit a full cage with a Safari snorkel in place, or am I better off getting a different type of snorkel ?

Not without moving the Safari. To be honest the Safari snorkels for 200Tdis are rubbish at actually sealing water out. If you go for a cage then I'd fit a different type of snorkel that has better sealing and does away with the internal Land Rover 'plumbing'.

Q7 - I'm going to fit a rear axle off a Disco ( when I find one ) to get rid of the drums - any pitfalls with this ?

Very common mod, just make sure the axle and brakes etc. are in good nick. Disco 1 axles fit like a dream :)

Q8 - Will a Swing Away spare carrier manage the weight of my spare Insa ? Would the back door support the weight if not ?

A decent swing-away will handle it no problem, the back door will too for a while...but the welds crack and the hinges wear out after time.

Q1 - Will the speedo be reading correctly with these size tyres on ? may need to change the speedo drive gear in the transfer box to the blue 20tooth FRC3310 item as used in 110's, depending on the original size tyres removed

Q2 - The dash lights, just seem to be a dull green glow - is this normal, any upgrades available so I can actually see the gauges ? the bulbs can be swapped for leds

Q3 - I will be fitting my X9 Winch to it when I buy a new bumper later this week - what's the best route for the winch cables ? from the winch through or under the grille panel & along top of chassis to the battery box via the winch control soleniod pack & a battery isolator switch

Q4 - Performance wise, it's down on the Disco - I was thinking about fitting a bigger intercooler ( possibly off a Saab ) , would there be any problems fitting this full size IC in front of the radiator ? Then I'll give the pump a tweek. different BHP/Torque as the Defender has a different transferbox ratio, 1.41, your Discovery had 1,21

Q5 - Gearing - I'm thinking of fitting a Disco transfer 'box to give it better legs on the road - is this a good choice thinking about the tyres I'm running ? should work OK, but you may find any heavy trailer towing is not as good as the standard 1.41 transferbox,

Q6 - Can you fit a full cage with a Safari snorkel in place, or am I better off getting a different type of snorkel ? Yes

Q7 - I'm going to fit a rear axle off a Disco ( when I find one ) to get rid of the drums - any pitfalls with this ? been done loads of times, by plenty of 90 owners on here & is a quick way of fitting rear disc brakes to a older 90

Q8 - Will a Swing Away spare carrier manage the weight of my spare Insa ? Would the back door support the weight if not ? I carry a 255/85x16 on a XD/Wolf wheel on my rear door, haven't had any problems in 12 years, swing away carrier will take the load of the door hinges & transfer it direct to body/chassis

hth & Welcome, please read the 'new members' pinned thread at top of the thread list page.

Thanks for the very quick and quality replies.

"hth & Welcome, please read the 'new members' pinned thread at top of the thread list page." - I hope I haven't breached any rules ? Appologies if I have.

The pinned thread gives you lots of good info about using this wesite, apologies not required :D