where to get shear pins?

Finn

The pin on my Gaz winch is 5mm. That is a pretty helty winch, 5 tons I seem to recall? I had no pin so I have used a 6mm 12.9 cap screw and turned the shank down (I needed an M6 thread under the head)

I was trying to pull a Zil out with it a few weeks back so the 5mm pin is definitely up to the job. It is however on the PTO shaft side connecting to the worm so much lighter loaded

Does anyone know what kind of bold I could use instead of a shear pin?

Cheers,

Finn

I use a few on agricultural stuff and they are usually 8.8. We now use normal bolts as they are much cheaper and appear no different (I know there used to be a difference at college!)

If you think they break too easy, up the strength or drill out to the next size up.

Aren't the std ones made of brass? if so this has a much lower shear strength than mild steel/8.8 bolt.

I'd start with a machined groove , say down to 4mm and do a bit of winching with a known load - a swb with the wheels locked up on dry tarmac. If it will drag it without shearing it should be about right.

.....having said that I know several people that run with HT bolts or even bolt the shear drive flanges together..

cheers

Steveb

Well, I found some at blanchards.

I have a side question.

How does this work on a defender PTO, does these also have shear pins? Have never seen one..

Cheers,

Finn

in the book I referred to above, it says 'Overlaod Protection Device' can be preset, what the OPD is I don't know, possibly a clutch with a adjustable slip.

The LT230 drop box pto has an adjustable sprung ball clutch - the two drive flanges have holes drilled that the ball seats into with most of the ball protruding, the driven plate then has large belleville washers between it and a large ring nut - tighten the nut = more pressure on the balls in the seats . At overload the plate moves against the spring force and the balls roll in a machined track in both drive flanges.

The ring nut is locked by a grub screw iirc

...these can also be tightened to the point they are fully locked..

cheers

Steveb

Ok,

I added some drawings out of a parts book I found on my harddrive.

Lets say you have pulled something way too heavy. Do you need to replace anything, or is it just a case of putting everything (the balls) back at its place and tighten the nut?

Cheers,

Finn

post-20584-065114900 1293010741_thumb.png

post-20584-049181100 1293010865_thumb.png

post-20584-015958400 1293010978_thumb.png