Drive flange options

After a good few years of abuse, the drive flanges on my rear axle are getting a little worn and could really do with being replaced to get rid of some of the drivetrain slack. There's 3 options out there - just after opinions from people who have experience with one or more...

Option 1 - Pattern parts, about £20 / pair. Cheap and nasty?

Option 2 - 'Heavy duty' gold ones with screw on caps, about £25 / pair. They look a bit kack, IMO and I'm not sure how good the screw on caps are at keeping the oil in.

Option 3 - OEM, about £30 / pair.

Bought myself some Terafirma ones for my 90 for no other reason than I fancied them, the originals are still 100% (no wear at all) but I just fancied a change.

They seal ok so only time will tell how they perform compared to the originals.

After a good few years of abuse, the drive flanges on my rear axle are getting a little worn and could really do with being replaced to get rid of some of the drivetrain slack. There's 3 options out there - just after opinions from people who have experience with one or more...

Option 1 - Pattern parts, about £20 / pair. Cheap and nasty?

Option 2 - 'Heavy duty' gold ones with screw on caps, about £25 / pair. They look a bit kack, IMO and I'm not sure how good the screw on caps are at keeping the oil in.

Option 3 - OEM, about £30 / pair.

whichever you decide to buy just before you fit the end cap either drop some wheel bearing grease or EP90 in it, the splines will love you for ever.

"whichever you decide to buy just before you fit the end cap either drop some wheel bearing grease or EP90 in it, the splines will love you for ever."

You are soooooooooooo right. That is why mine are still in perfect condition even after so many miles, routine maintenance is to check the end-cap from time to time to ensure there is some lubrication in there.

What I can't understand is when people post a thread (usually with photos) showing a drive-flange that is corroded so hard on the end of the halfshaft that the flange has to be carefully cut off using an angle-grinder. How did it get into that state in the first place??????????? :wacko:

There are varying quality after-market HD flanges, and there are two different thicknesses for the different aged vehicles - thick for 200Tdi and earlier and thin for 300Tdi and later.

A friend had them on his 90 and rated them very highly - they have tighter splines, giving less wear, and press the shaft's circlip square against the flange, keeping the shaft dead straight, which helps prevent CV wear and stops the CVs knocking the ABS sensors out of the top swivel pins on ABS vehicles. They are also better at leak prevention than the later axles' plastic caps.

I'm waiting for some Terrafirma ones from First Four - they're sold out until their next batch arrives in late January, as are every Terrafirma and Bearmach retailer I contacted.

"I'm waiting for some Terrafirma ones from First Four - they're sold out until their next batch arrives in late January, as are every Terrafirma and Bearmach retailer I contacted."

How much have you been quoted for the Terafirma ones? I paid £70 for the set of four which having done some research beforehand I consider to be very good.

That said, I compared my new Terafirma ones with some new Bearmach ones (my second choice and £20 cheaper for a set of four) and they looked EXACTLY the same, there are cheaper ones out there and you can see differences but these looked IDENTICAL.

That was for the pair, and £35 was an approximation of the price - I didn't remember the exact price, but £32-odd sounds familiar.

BM and TF are meant to be reasonably good brands, and since I don't take this vehicle off road, they won't get much hammering. I can't justify over £100 for an Ashcroft set which may be a bit tougher, but won't be highly stressed.

They have come down in price since I bought mine and most places are still selling Terrafirma ones singularly so I would double check before buying. When I got mine they were £24+VAT each so getting them all for £70 inc VAT was good.

Can't remember who was Selling the Bearmach ones for £50 for a set of four but that was definately with VAT. I had checked them out side by side at the shows so knew what they both looked like but was willing to pay a bit extra for the Terrafirma ones.