Metal fragments in stop solenoid?

Hello, since putting a disco 200tdi engine into my old 90 I have had many miles of happy roving. Unfortunately I now have a problem seemingly the disintegration of the injector pump? A while back after going to work I turned off the ignition and the engine didn't stop, I removed the stop soleniod tested it and all was fine, I then put it back and all was well for some time. Then it happened again, this time I noticed a small fragment of metal which was obviously the cause of the soleniod sticking, anyway I cleaned it off and once again all was well. Today I was driving along and decided to give her some beans (something I don't often do) and the engine began to hold back, release throttle and she runs fine and is completely drivable but every time you try to open her up she holds back.

My questions are:

are the guts of my injector pump falling apart?

Is this something members have heard of before?

How long is it likely to last before catastrophic failure of pump?

Many thanks for any advice, Jamie.

My questions are:

are the guts of my injector pump falling apart?

Is this something members have heard of before?

How long is it likely to last before catastrophic failure of pump?

It was a common problem for the Tdi injection pumps, mainly down to the lack of lubricating sulphur in the diesel fuel, your pump will need a rebuild as mine did a few years ago, my diesel guy used the newest [at the time] parts roller & camplate from Bosch to fix my FIP. I lived with it for a cuople of weeks then the engine just refused to run, had to get a big yellow AA taxi home.

with the current diesel fuel it's been fine since the repair.

this is my FIP's old cam & roller note the surface damage -- the swarf you are getting

Tdipumpcamrollerdamage.jpg

IIRC the fix & recalibration/testing after repair cost me about £400 inc parts/labour/VAT.

so Yes a costly repair but the FIP will be able to handle the current fuels without any problem, mine was repaired October 2003 been fine since.

a alternative is to source another FIP from ebay or a damaged 200tdi engine