Roll Cage Question

zim

I was speaking to a chap this morning who claimed to be part of the MSA, who said there are likely to be a lot of rule changes in the next couple of years to bring MSA and FIA in to line with one another. He similarly said grandfather rights were going to go and that any vehicle must comply fully with the latest set of rules. He suggested that before embarking on any major build, it might be worth waiting for the dust to settle rather than build to one set of rules to have it disqualified as soon as it's finished.

This is pretty much what has happened to my truck. I finished it this year only to find that in 2011, it cannot comply with the regs (it does not have two chassis rails, which means the stays on the main hoop disobey the minimum separation / angle) Best suggestion so far is to cut off the space frame, restore the chassis to a traditional ladder frame and build a compliant cage - in other words start again. When I started the build 3 years ago, it complied with AWDC regs - and nobody had mentioned the MSA.

I have to say that I'm worried that by the time it's replacement is ready to roll, it will also be illegal.

I've decided that the safest option is to build something entirely road legal so that even if the MSA don't like it, at least there are other events it can take part in. It does rather limit how 'trick' it can be - but perhaps that's a good thing! ;)

Si

thankyou simon,at least now someone else has heard the same rumblings about fia compliance as me,it is going to hit rallying and circuit racing big time,the bit about grandfather rights going is the worst bit.

As far as I'm aware UK off road competition vehicles have never had Grandfathers rights, they don't have log books so their age can't be proven.

The FIA regs aren't that much different, a decent cross in the roof and doorways, with gussets, and an extra bar downwards from the front hoop. I haven't had to change any of my main bars and mine was built in 1994.

As far as I'm aware UK off road competition vehicles have never had Grandfathers rights, they don't have log books so their age can't be proven.

The FIA regs aren't that much different, a decent cross in the roof and doorways, with gussets, and an extra bar downwards from the front hoop. I haven't had to change any of my main bars and mine was built in 1994.

one of the changes being implemented is for all comp motors under msa juristiction will have to have a log book as rally cars do now,as no one can presently prove when the truck was built in future to pass scrutineering all motors will have to meet all current regs.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to update an old 80 inch series one and need to put another x member 3mmx100mmx50mm and plate back to the chassis with 6mm or 1/4 plate to comply with ALRC regs then hopefully start playing with the AWDC again with a motor that i don't mind rubbing trees with.