3.5 carb distributer plate loose

Gazzar

I was working on a 3.5 RRC suffix B engine this morning.

The symptom suggested a problem with the points, full throttle to get it to run at all, rough as a rough thing.

Anyway, when I got there, it fired up fine, ran a bit rough but ok. The customer had bought new leads and plugs, so I fitted them and it ran much better.

He took it out for a test drive and as he was coming back on site it cut out.

I couldn't get it going again, so I looked at the points, and, try as I might, I couldn't get the points gap to stay set.

It was snowing heavily at the time, so I wasn't thinking totally straight, but eventually I twigged that the distributor plate was loose, and I don't mean it was rotating, I mean I was able to tilt it, and push it from side to side, staying where I put it.

I'm fairly certain that this is wrong, and it needs a rebuild, replacement or conversion to electronic.

But, I could be incorrect.

Is this normal behaviour?

Whats the best plan?

G.

What I'm thinking of doing is fitting this distributor:

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DISCOVERY_1/*SPECIAL_OFFERS*/V8_Distributor_-_New_(not_exchange).html

and the link lead

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/SPECIAL_OFFERS/Range_Rover_86-94/Link_lead.html

I presume that I just connect the link lead up to the coil and time it up?

I've looked at the RPI website, and they have this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Distributor-Ignition-Pre-1976-Morgan-TVR-Kitcar-P5-P6-/170580912364?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b76a28ec

So what I need to know is whether the suffix "B" engine is an early type, or a late type timing chain cover.

Any one know?

G.

You can probably fit the link lead and dizzy, it's a good upgrade IMHO, IIRC the difference between early and late was the dizzy/oil pump drive, one was female, one male, I think(!)

You are right, though I don't know which this RRC has! And it's an hour drive away. Can the drives be swapped over, I wonder?

G.

You are right, though I don't know which this RRC has! And it's an hour drive away. Can the drives be swapped over, I wonder?

G.

Correct.

Just a roll pin in there.

If you were to get a photo of the oil pump housing, you might be able to confirm which one it is....

Also - are the water pumps not different between early and late models, i'm sure they are ?

G

Edit : Yes - from RPI :

* Pre 1976 Non EFI vehicles (1)

* Post 1976 vehicles (2)

* Post 1982 EFI vehicles () - out of stock

Type 1 (GWP 310) small footprint, alloy top hat type mechanical fan connection boss.

These early type pumps can normally be found on the Rover P5, P6 & original MGB V8s, early Morgan Plus 8s, and perhaps some TVRs, all Pre - 1976 models. However, you may also find this type of pump on many kit and custom cars, due the shorter nose length allowing ease of fitting to V8s with front end clearance issues.

Type 2 (QCP 2095) small footprint with output shaft for slide on type viscous coupling and fan.

These later type water pumps can normally be found on the earlier Rover SD1s (non EFI), Morgan Plus 8s, Triumph TR8s, TVR V8s, and many more kit and custom cars from 1976. It is also worth mentioning that some companies such as Morgan used this pump with the nose cut shorter to avoid the front cross member.

Type 3 (GWP 2149) small footprint, thread on type viscous coupling and fan..........Please note Not currently available..........

These Water pumps are mostly used on EFi (fuel injection) type engines (1982 onwards) normally found on the later Rover SD1s (EFi) type, Morgan Plus 8s, Triumph TR8, TVR, and many kit and custom cars from 1982. - Out of stock -

This information however is only a guidance as there are some exceptions to the rule and many V8s that are no longer standard, therefore we have posted enough pictures of each type so that you can be sure yourself.

p6-2wd-water-pump.jpg

long-nose-2wd-water-pump.jpg

2c_water_pump_01a.jpg

P.S. if you do swap them and the old broken one is going spare, could i have it :)

Not sure about engine numbers and stuff like that but broadly, the cut off for fitting the lucas electronic dizzy was 1976. Before no, after yes. However, recently, RPI have started manufacturing a suitable oil pump connector that allows the fitment to pre '76 engines. Its quite pricey for what it is but having said that, going electronic is easily the best mod you can make to an early V8 IMHO.

Regarding supply of dizzys, there is a guy on ebay called SimonBBC who seems to get good reviews on other V8 Forums.

Not sure about engine numbers and stuff like that but broadly, the cut off for fitting the lucas electronic dizzy was 1976. Before no, after yes. However, recently, RPI have started manufacturing a suitable oil pump connector that allows the fitment to pre '76 engines. Its quite pricey for what it is but having said that, going electronic is easily the best mod you can make to an early V8 IMHO.

Regarding supply of dizzys, there is a guy on ebay called SimonBBC who seems to get good reviews on other V8 Forums.

Thanks,

I've tried him, but he hasn't come back to me yet. I'll give it another day and then I'll have to try someone else.

G.