MUD Dash Console

stuck

Have just bought one of these, I know I need to cut the existing "dash" to make it fit but once I've done that can anybody tell me if I can get a DIN mounted CB and a stereo in the "vertical" panel and then a row of Carling switches in the "sloping" panel?

I don't want to cut holes in it without knowing!

Cheers,

Mick.

P.S. any pics of your would be greatly appreciated.

Mick,

I am in the process of building one for my truck at the moment - it's taken me ages to work out a layout...

You can get a shallow din unit into the lower front slot, although my head unit wouldn't fit - my CB (not DIN) would be fine though.

The top front slot does not really have enough clearance behind it to fit a din unit in.

The top sloped section fits a din head unit in very nicely - so that's where mine is.

With a head unit in the top space, clearance behind the top front space gets very tight. I wanted to use the proper plugs on the back of my carling switches, and in order to get enough clearance I put them in the middle of the front panel - thats as high as they can go. If you use crimps on the back of the switches instead, you can fit them into the top slot, but it's still very tight!

I can take some pictures of my progress so far if it's of any interest.

Cheers

Mark

Have just bought one of these, I know I need to cut the existing "dash" to make it fit but once I've done that can anybody tell me if I can get a DIN mounted CB and a stereo in the "vertical" panel and then a row of Carling switches in the "sloping" panel?

I don't want to cut holes in it without knowing!

Cheers,

Mick.

P.S. any pics of your would be greatly appreciated.

lots of ariations in layout by other customers here Mud console gallery

one thing I'd add when fitting the mud dash is enlarge the hole that all the cables run from the fuse box area. It's a good 2inch wide until it hit's the plastic tray lining that you are covering with the mud dash. hope that makes sense.

Have a look at my blog; I have exactly the configuration you have in mind. It's a tight fit, and using the optional wiring terminal block holders on the backs of the switches makes things worse - they push down a little on the stereo top but using independent wiring terminals would avoid that. The CB may be a bit long, depending on which model you use. Certainly, the Midland 85+ has trouble at the back with the antenna and speaker connectors fouling the main wiring unless you set the DIN mount up so that the entire plastic front is protruding from the mount's front panel, so that you can see the entire white-printed warning label on the top of the CB face. My stereo's rear top corners also contacted the back of the console, but a little trimming sorted that out. Mount the CB and the stereo as low in the unit as possible to avoid that and the fouling of the switch terminal blocks.

It's a great mod, though. You can use seven Carling Tech Condura switches with their optional extra mountings in the top slot of the dash unit for a perfect fit within the recess.

http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/1443