Electrical Gremlins

Nice a bit of advise on Defender electrics.(91 200TDI)

A mate with a little help from me have been installing a mud console. The console will house, Hazzard switch Interior light, stereo and Spot lights.

When we pulled the binnacle out the wiring was a bit of a mess, so my mate was on a mission to sort it out.

We've run new cables through the back of the dash and out through the channel to where the mud console will be located. We've connected the new wiring to the existing Hazzard, interior light loom and terminated.

Question 1. Interior switch, the wiring is shot. There is a unique issue when operating the new mud carling switch. With the main vehicle lights switched off. the interior light comes on. However the main head lights also come on. (Told you it was weird), when the vehicles lights are switched on, the interior light go's out and cannot be switched on.

I'm guessing one of the original interior light cables was incorrectly wired into the loom. Can someone help and tell me what colours are originally connected to the light switch and what they connect to into on the loom.

Question 2 Hazard warning light

My mate has purchased the Carling Hazard switch from Mudd. We've got the hazards lights working correctly and the tell tell light on the switch works fine. My question is this. on the 200TDI 1991, is there a tell tell dash light that should illuminate when the Hazards are switched on. We have 7 cables connected with only number 8 missing. Looking through the Mudd Instructions, there should be a red cable with a white strip connected to this terminal, for the life of us, we can't find this cable behind the dash. So were wondering, is this cable present on the 200tdi. Or if it is, were would be the best place to take a feed to power the dash tell tell lights.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

original interior light/door switch wire colour was/is blue/purple trace

the hazard telltale on the dash warning light panel should be the trailer green indicator light flashing in unison with the hazard switch red light in the switch, there isn't a hazard triangle red light on the dash panel on a 200tdi.

red/white trace is dash gauge illumination only

A few of pieces of information which may be helpful to identify your problem:

1. The direction indicator tell tale on the dash panel works by being wired between the LH and RH indicator circuits, so the tell tale picks up its 'earth' through the indicator bulbs which are on the other side of the vehicle to the bulbs which are flashing.

2. The hazard lights tell tale on the dash is, as Western has said, given by the trailer light, which works because the flasher relay sees all four main indicator bulbs in the circuit and thus detects a current draw which is more than for a pair of bulbs (i.e. one side only) and so flashes the tell tale, just as if it had a trailer connected.

3. You should be able to easily pick up the dash illumination circuit (red with white trace) from the centre of the parcel shelf, behind where the cigar lights and rear wash/wipe switch are, where there is a spare connection point for it provided by LandRover.

4. Have you clocked that the interior lights and the instrument panel lights are controlled by the three position switch, which is next to where the hazard and rear window heater switch are to the right of the steering wheel? It's a three position switch so you can't have the interior lights on at the same time as the instrument lights (if it's still wired as original). The door switches operate on the chassis side of the light circuit, the dash lights switch is on the positive side. The headlights are controlled by one of the relays in the fuse box. My guess with regard to your lights problem is that something has come adrift in the interior light circuit which means that the lights are now being earthed via the relay coil, which is why the headlights come on when you turn on the interior lights.

Your job will be made somewhat easier if you have the wiring diagram for the vehicle although it's not easy to follow even then. PM me with your e-mail address if you'd like me to send you a copy.

Nick.

4. Have you clocked that the interior lights and the instrument panel lights are controlled by the three position switch, which is next to where the hazard and rear window heater switch are to the right of the steering wheel? It's a three position switch so you can't have the interior lights on at the same time as the instrument lights (if it's still wired as original). The door switches operate on the chassis side of the light circuit, the dash lights switch is on the positive side. The headlights are controlled by one of the relays in the fuse box. My guess with regard to your lights problem is that something has come adrift in the interior light circuit which means that the lights are now being earthed via the relay coil, which is why the headlights come on when you turn on the interior lights.

Just a heads up, but this isn't always the case. In my 90 (1992 200Tdi) the interior light switch is completely independent from the gauge lighting. My 110 (1993 200Tdi) does have the switch you describe, however that is a CSW so it may have only been on those models.

There's obviously the other issues of previous owners over the last 20 years modifying things (almost certain!).

Thank for the sound advice.

We'll check the trailer dash light to see if there is a blown bulb. I've checked for the red and white wire behind the Cigarette lighter and rear wiper controls on my 300TDI, couldn't find the wire that was mentioned. Maybe its different on the 300TDI, i'll check on my mate's 200TDI.

Thanks also for the advice on the interior switch. I will have a go and let you know how I get on.

thanks