More 90 Questions

Hello All

I got some great replies to my previous post.

A few more questions

Q1 - Its a 200Tdi fitted with 265\75\16 Insa Turbo Special Tracks - I've had chance to drive it properly now and it does the sum total of 53 Mph max speed on the flat ( checked with satnav ) - is this normal ?, I wasn't expecting it to be earth shattering, but none the less, this seems a bit slow ! Could it be the tyres holding it back a bit ? What speed should I expect to achieve ?

Q2 - If it should go faster - what do you think needs looking at ? ( I've got a Disco transfer box to put on )

Q3 - I've got hold of a Saab intercooler - is there anything wrong with fitting it without tweaking the pump ? The pipes will be longer than standard will this affect anything ?

Q4 - The fuel gauge is a bit of a 'guess-o-matic' - I filled it right up and the gauge went to 3/4's, it does fluctuate between half and full at any given time - is this normal, or do I need to look at the sender and\or gauge ?

Q5 - The steering seems stiff - over adjusted steering box - or something else ?

Q6 - I've read lots about the heater problems - I'll strip it out and check everything in due course. It does blow luke warm air, so not too bad, but the fan doesn't blow very hard, should there be a decent air flow on fast setting, because I aren't getting this ( it does have a wing scoop on ) ?

Thanks for any responses - more questions to follow no doubt !

Q1 - Its a 200Tdi fitted with 265\75\16 Insa Turbo Special Tracks - I've had chance to drive it properly now and it does the sum total of 53 Mph max speed on the flat ( checked with satnav ) - is this normal ?, I wasn't expecting it to be earth shattering, but none the less, this seems a bit slow ! Could it be the tyres holding it back a bit ? What speed should I expect to achieve ?

Q2 - If it should go faster - what do you think needs looking at ? ( I've got a Disco transfer box to put on )

Did your other thread discuss the possibility that you have a 1.6 transfer box fitted? this will have a big effect. my '92 200tdi 90 with 255/85R16 tyres will do 65 comfortably, 75 flat out screaming its head off, which is not pleasant.

Q3 - I've got hold of a Saab intercooler - is there anything wrong with fitting it without tweaking the pump ? The pipes will be longer than standard will this affect anything ?

Longer pipes will lead to a bit more turbo lag, but nothing huge. Without a pump tweek you won't really see any performance increase

Q4 - The fuel gauge is a bit of a 'guess-o-matic' - I filled it right up and the gauge went to 3/4's, it does fluctuate between half and full at any given time - is this normal, or do I need to look at the sender and\or gauge ?

That's not normal. The gauge isn't particularly linear, but should read full and empty ok. It will fluctuate depending on the angle the vehicle's at. This is probably an earthing/wiring issue, or a faulty sender.

Q5 - The steering seems stiff - over adjusted steering box - or something else ?

The steering is stiffer than a cars. Check steering pump belt tension, the condition of the steering shaft UJs, and have a look at the swivels.

Q6 - I've read lots about the heater problems - I'll strip it out and check everything in due course. It does blow luke warm air, so not too bad, but the fan doesn't blow very hard, should there be a decent air flow on fast setting, because I aren't getting this ( it does have a wing scoop on ) ?

It's hardly gail force! The heater/fan speed control is actually a mechanical vent control, and a 3 position switch - off/slow/fast. You should be able to feel the switch notches at the bottom of the lever's movement. If you're not getting the two fan speeds then the switch and motor needs investigating.

The heater doesn't produce any worthwhile heat until the engine temperature gauge needle has made it into/passed the white bit, at the least. Running the heater will also cool the engine to the point where the air gets colder unless the engine is working, in this weather.

53 is really slow - is it running out of revs or power?

That very much depends on the answer to Q1 really, a Disco box could make it go faster or it could totally ruin it.

Nothing wrong with it, but I'd look at getting it running properly in standard trim before fiddling with it or you'll never have a baseline starting point where you know everything was working properly.

They're never very accurate but they should at least give a reasonable indication, check the wiring and test the gauge/sender.

Stiff compared to what? A car, or another Land Rover? Wider tyres and offset rims may not help, although it shouldn't really make that much difference. Is the PAS fluid fresh & topped up, belt not slipping?

The 200TDi is very over-cooled even in summer, so as said in other posts you're never going to get a blast furnace out of the vents. The LR heater is not that great but should provide some warmth, ISTR someone (Western?) doing a thread about checking & adjusting the heater controls as this can make a big difference. Could be worth a look in the tech archive.

53 is really slow - is it running out of revs or power?

It seems to pull ok, I wouldn't say it was over revving at that speed - would the extreme tyre pattern slow it down by much ?

That very much depends on the answer to Q1 really, a Disco box could make it go faster or it could totally ruin it.

I'll try some road tyres that I have to see if it makes any difference.

Nothing wrong with it, but I'd look at getting it running properly in standard trim before fiddling with it or you'll never have a baseline starting point where you know everything was working properly.

Agreed

They're never very accurate but they should at least give a reasonable indication, check the wiring and test the gauge/sender.

Stiff compared to what? A car, or another Land Rover? Wider tyres and offset rims may not help, although it shouldn't really make that much difference. Is the PAS fluid fresh & topped up, belt not slipping?

Compared to the Disco I swapped it for. It's definately stiff, I've just remembered the previous owner said he put new swivel seals in it, wonder if it needs the pre load adjusting ? Fluid and belt are ok.

The 200TDi is very over-cooled even in summer, so as said in other posts you're never going to get a blast furnace out of the vents. The LR heater is not that great but should provide some warmth, ISTR someone (Western?) doing a thread about checking & adjusting the heater controls as this can make a big difference. Could be worth a look in the tech archive.

Yes, I'll have a play with this, I've read the tech threads, I just wanted to know if the fan blew at a decent rate on Fast, as mine doesn't.

Thanks for the replies

Rob