STIFF POWER STEERING

I,m a new forum member and a new Landrover owner. I bought a 200tdi 90 defender a couple of months ago and its been fine. However yesterday while driving home the power steering went stiff. Still driveable but harder to turn wheel at slower speeds. P/steering drive belt is ok, fluid level ok and no apparent leaks. Ball joints look ok. Haynes manual says it could be power steering box or power steering pump. I'm a competent diy mechanic and could change either item, but can anyone tell me if there is a way to tell whether its the steering box or pump without me having to change both.

give the 2 UJ's on the steering column a good spray with WD40 or similar, before spending huge money on new pump/steering box, you'll find the joints in the engine bay between bulkhead & steering box.

Thanks for that I'll give that a go. On further inspection I noticed my swivel hubs seemed to be leaking (I understand this is a common problem). I drained what was left, refilled with oil and there did seem to be an improvement. I've ordered some of that thicker oil come grease from ebay which seems to be made just for these hubs and leaks out a lot slower. However steering was a bit easier when hubs were refilled with oil.

Appreciate the suggestions gents and as I'm on a steep learning curve will let you know how I get on,

Thanks for that I'll give that a go. On further inspection I noticed my swivel hubs seemed to be leaking (I understand this is a common problem). I drained what was left, refilled with oil and there did seem to be an improvement. I've ordered some of that thicker oil come grease from ebay which seems to be made just for these hubs and leaks out a lot slower. However steering was a bit easier when hubs were refilled with oil.

Appreciate the suggestions gents and as I'm on a steep learning curve will let you know how I get on,

you only need one sachet per swivel, don't try to fill it completly, warn the sachets in hot water first to help it flow better.