4x4 Quandry - what should I maybe buy ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

##Tried a spare set of rims and M&S tyres loanded to me could not get off the drive :rofl:

Seems the latest stuff traction control + DSC = F all :)

Car back on drive, tryes and rims back with mate and flower bed next to drive should heal :lol:

Nige

:rolleyes:

M+S means didley squat.

How do you think people in their BMW´s get around here?

Buy a set of rims and proper winter/ snow tyres. Somebody mentioned earlier Nokian Hakkepelitta.

Proper tyres for the conditions.

BFG MT are also marked M+S, General Grabber AT2 even have the mountain and snowflake symbol,

but I wouldn´t use either as winter/ snow tyres. I have Nokian´s (with studs) on my Disco. Can´t beat them.

But hey it´s your money to throw away.

nokian_HAKKAPELIITTA_r_lg.jpg

We dont get enough snow to justify rims and tyres for snow 4days a year

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that what´s all over the news then?

You´d be surprised but even though I live in Norway, my parents in Kent

have got more snow than I have, yet I still have 2 sets of wheels.

So you don´t get enough snow to justify 2 sets of wheels and tyres, but enough

to justify replacing a car that´s used for daily driving?

:huh: :huh:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that what´s all over the news then?

You´d be surprised but even though I live in Norway, my parents in Kent

have got more snow than I have, yet I still have 2 sets of wheels.

So you don´t get enough snow to justify 2 sets of wheels and tyres, but enough

to justify replacing a car that´s used for daily driving?

:huh: :huh:

:lol:

Its not me who replacing a car, but if you want to pay I ll have some for my cars please, for the little bit of snow we have

Actually kent suffers from much higher snow fall than its neighbours for some reason.

I don't think you will get a brand spanking top speck fl or d4 for anything like the money you want to spend! Reliability wise my d3 hse is now 3 years old 65k folks are right in saying we only moan about problems not when it is good. Problems over life so far headlight out,headrest holes in wrong place,various electrical glitches which have all been resolved by a new battery about a year ago and of course the handbrake being a rubbish design but that is design and as such not a fault? Oh and the drivers seat squeaked. All resolved and never actually caused any breakdowns. It often tows 3.5 in the uk and Europe, roof tent,tool boxes,spares etc for challenge car. It's not a bling princess for Sunday runs so I think it is ok reliability wise actually. Costs a bloody fortune to run though. I recon on a good 4-5k on tax INS service fuel etc pa. Bless our government!!

WHY would a X5 spin about - reason for asking - considering one and there £40+K :(

1. Very, very wide tyres.

2. Traction control needs to see a fair amount of wheel speed difference to react. With LR's terrain response the traction control is one of the systems to be adjusted to match the requirements of the slippery surface.

Mark.

Its not me who replacing a car, but if you want to pay I ll have some for my cars please, for the little bit of snow we have

Actually kent suffers from much higher snow fall than its neighbours for some reason.

I do realise that, but your train of thought doesn´t make sense.

What tyres have you got on the Land Rover (if you have one)? :rolleyes:

1. Very, very wide tyres.

2. Traction control needs to see a fair amount of wheel speed difference to react. With LR's terrain response the traction control is one of the systems to be adjusted to match the requirements of the slippery surface.

Mark.

Yep, agree here, foot-wide tyres are just wrong for the conditions. One of my colleagues managed to get her X5 stuck in 3" of snow in our work car park that is on level ground! A tad embarrasing when another colleauge in a Mini had no probs at all.

I have seen more X5s in ditches lately than any other car, one of which I saw simply slide sideways into the ditch due to the camber of the icy road. It was extracted less one wing mirror and with a huge dent in the rear door :( Expensive!!

Not ever owned a Scooby, but everyone I know that has one raves over their reliability, and competance in poor weather.

Last week, our local rag pictured two rally spec Imprezzas towing an ambulance that couldn't make it up a hill. From the picture, they appeared to have the right kind of tyres for the weather, but ambulances are dammed heavy!

For something more refined inside, the Legacy looks pretty well spec'd.

I do realise that, but your train of thought doesn´t make sense.

What tyres have you got on the Land Rover (if you have one)? :rolleyes:

I dont even own a 4x4 other than the audi, Im just a freak who goes on landrover forums and buys stuff :blink:

You have bored me badly and I dont want a conversation with you in somebody elses thread, actually why dont you start a poll on how many people own a set of snow tyres for their sports/performance cars

We've got a 2010 Forester (2.5 non turbo poverty spec) over here in the States, and I'm sooo impressed with it. Was driving round in the east coast blizzard last night, the only other people on the road were in plow trucks. It didn't falter once in some horrible snow conditions. Oh, and we've spent a week driving around the desert at KOH this year and it didn't get stuck in the sand once (though when the little orange traction light came on you knew it was getting close!). Quite funny watching the faces of the guys in $100k race buggies as we drove by...

Gets great mpg, has a ton of room and is well designed inside.

We're about to drive from Long Island NY to Tucson AZ for the second time this year.... Managed to put 25k on it in a year!

Nige, since you are so maintenance contious, Slight problem with any subaru flat four (or so I am told), is:

replace sparkplugs=engine out.

Apart from that Subaru is a very good car.

Daan

Spark plugs are in line with the inside of the wheel arch. It is possible to change them without removing the engine, but knuckles do suffer.