4x4 Quandry - what should I maybe buy ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

OH is just about to replace the '07 CRV that she's had from new. 70,000 trouble free miles, the only problem she had was on one occasion last winter when the handbrake froze on one morning. She is considering loads including another CRV but is also currently looking at:

Skoda Superb or Yeti - she likes either.

Mitsubishi ASX (although she reckons it's a bit 'plasticy'.

Hyundi IX35.

Nissan Qashqai (bit small).

Also thinking about:

Maybe another Volvo.

Doesn't want another Freelander.

I reckon I'm in for another couple of weeks of constant 'should I's' and 'what about's' but TBH I'm leaving the choice entirely up to her.

OH is just about to replace the '07 CRV that she's had from new. 70,000 trouble free miles, the only problem she had was on one occasion last winter when the handbrake froze on one morning. She is considering loads including another CRV but is also currently looking at:

Skoda Superb or Yeti - she likes either.

Mitsubishi ASX (although she reckons it's a bit 'plasticy'.

Hyundi IX35.

Nissan Qashqai (bit small).

Also thinking about:

Maybe another Volvo.

Doesn't want another Freelander.

I reckon I'm in for another couple of weeks of constant 'should I's' and 'what about's' but TBH I'm leaving the choice entirely up to her.

The Yeti is a surprisingly good car for the money.

My wife's was 16k new with 7 speed auto box (and not a basic one). OK, it's a 2wd one, not a 4x4, but on all terrains it had no problems at all in the recent weather.

Driving position is good, refinement is good, build quality is far better than non-Skoda owners would probably believe. It realy is solidly built.

How they can do them for that price with parking sensors, cruise control etc is a mystery to me. I personally believe you have to spend a lot more to get a better vehicle than the Yeti.

My wife thinks it's fantastic.

Just remember that the boot isn't very bit though. Only downside.

Having driven it I now believe 4x4 is not needed for most people here in the UK. A set of decent winter/snow tyres will do the job just fine on a 2WD unless you actually do go off road.

High Hige,

Just read your list of cars and thought i would add my input.

I was given a freelander 2 GS as a work car along with a few others and we all thought oh dear, reliability however much i loved LR.

Had it for over a years and actually nothing went wrong at all and it never went back to the garage, one of the other company cars had an alternator fail when it was about 3 weeks old but once that was fixed all seem to be ok. We did alot of driving in them getting around 35000 miles a year across fields as well as on road being chemical sales men.

Whilst working there a coligue had a Honda CRV, nice car however once being in the freelander we would never get into his honda, you sit a little lower, it feels a little cheaper and generally not as comfy as the freelander. Can't comment on the others as no expericen as them.

before i had the freelander i had a Audi A3 2.0 DSG which went like **** of the shovel and i thought the i would really miss the power however supprisinly i actually found the freelander had all the power it needed for the car, it pulled away on a slip road as quick as you wanted and i was very pleased. Terrain response was awsome and if you ever wanted some fun just stick it in sand and off she went!!!!!

I would say that when i then left the company they started getting the auto's and they were far more comfy than the manual that i had so i would go for on of them. i was a sceptical until having the audi auto but i would always have one now if i could.

I now drive a Nassan Navara and it is a typical work vehicle. Uncomfy in comparrison and bloody way to big. And when it breaks down. and that more a case of what is broken rather than when, i am on first name terms the the garage now it is dam expensive, i have just had to fork out £650 for one front wheel bearing!!!! i was like what, i can get one for my landy for £20!!!! just as they are nissan and alot of parts you can't get aftermarket so a rear uj for the prop, £110!!! dam expensive!!!

Saw plenty of XC60's on the way back from south of france on sunday and they nearly all overtook me on the auto barns as i was doing top end of nissan navara, which is faster than one thinks!!!

All the best and at the end of the day it has to come down to what you feel comfortable in and what is pratical for you as in dealer location and all the rest.

James

Could buy a donkey, odd bale of hay and it'll go anywhere....

Suit you sir

The obstetrician father of a close friend of mine (also an obstetrician) used a donkey for his medical practice throughout his career....never got stuck anywhere, however, that was Cyprus in the 1950s!

stick with the bmw and buy some proper snow tyres for it. The old man has a house near Tignes and used to have a bmw 530 that he left out there all year to use instead of a hire car - fitted a set of vredestein snow tyres and never ever had a problem in any of the blizzard conditions going from chambrey airport to his house and any driving about between tignes and Val D'

Only very occassionally did he ever have to resort to fitting the snow chains, that was mainly when he was going up the extremely steep and winding road to st foy with more than a foot of snow on the road.

it just doesnt make sense to sell a car which you obviously love, for something that will probably annoy the snot out of you for 10 months of the year.just buy a set of skinny snow tyres and away you go

good example of what can be done with PROPER snow tyres.

Nick

Seeing your post made me think of my father. He wanted to change his car as the only place he had a problem was his small cul-de-sac. It is always 150 metres of trouble. It is also in a forest, so, you can't park on a road nearby anywhere, you must park in the driveway. There have been numerous accidents on his road whenever it has snowed....and all have involved cars with curbs, cars with trees, cars with other parked cars or cars with brick walls. Nowhere else nearby has problems, so for him, snow tyres just wouldn't make sense. He bought a Mercedes E class as the dealer promised that the ESP system could easily handle the little snow and ice we have. In it, he couldn't exit the driveway, and hence, he and my mother would become totally disabled by snow. So, he recently sold the one year old E-class and bought a 997 Turbo instead....it has the All Wheel Drive system, and now, he has no problems!

Nowhere else nearby has problems, so for him, snow tyres just wouldn't make sense. He bought a Mercedes E class as the dealer promised that the ESP system could easily handle the little snow and ice we have. In it, he couldn't exit the driveway, and hence, he and my mother would become totally disabled by snow.

:blink::blink:

As for the rest...

:lol::lol::lol:

I've had a ****roen C3 whilst the Disco was having a new head, with proper tyres for the

conditions of course. It has ESP and even on the slippiest slopes I had to realy try to

get it to work. The Disco has studded tyres.

Have any of you naysayers ever tried proper snow tyres, on a seemingly useless vehicle, that

you can't get off the drive. :rolleyes::lol:

Have any of you naysayers ever tried proper snow tyres, on a seemingly useless vehicle, that

i couldnt agree more,

snow tyres arent JUST for snow, they have great wet tarmac performance due to the huge number of sipes and they perform much better in cold dry conditions than normal tyres due to the compound.

We might only have snow for a few weeks a year, but there is no reason you cant use them for the entire winter period up until end of feb or beyond. They dont wear out horrifically, they arent noisey, they arent deadly in the dry... the only thing i would say is to get them changed when it starts to warm up, as the compound does wear out quicker on dry warm tarmac.

If you have problems with your car in snow and ice or live on a particularly bad section of road - it makes perfect sense to buy a set and store them in your garage for 9 months of the year and spend £50 a year getting your tyres swapped over onto your rims in preperation for winter.

Its a no brainer and something i wouldnt think twice about if i didnt have a disco2 with a/t tyres that seem to love snow :D

nick

This winter our Yeti (2wd) has been on winter (not snow, but assume people mean the same thing) tyres that work better than summer tyres under 7c.

It has gone everywhere with no problem at all. On summer tyres in the snow we couldn't even get it off the drive. :lol:

In most cases (here is where the flaming starts) it would be better than a heavy 4x4, as all 4x4 gives you is more traction to pull away/accelerate. A 2wd with winter tyres will corner and brake better than a heavy 4x4 with summer tyres on ice and snow, due to being lighter and having more bite into the ice/snow when slowing down/cornering.

In most cases (here is where the flaming starts) it would be better than a heavy 4x4, as all 4x4 gives you is more traction to pull away/accelerate. A 2wd with winter tyres will corner and brake better than a heavy 4x4 with summer tyres on ice and snow, due to being lighter and having more bite into the ice/snow when slowing down/cornering.

No flaming from me, it is true. A normal car with decent winter/snow tyres will be better than a heavy 4x4 with AT tyres.

However put winter/ snow or even studded tyres on your 4x4 and go anywhere. :D

:blink::blink:

As for the rest...

:lol::lol::lol:

I've had a ****roen C3 whilst the Disco was having a new head, with proper tyres for the

conditions of course. It has ESP and even on the slippiest slopes I had to realy try to

get it to work. The Disco has studded tyres.

I couldn't exist without snow tyres....I work in Aberdeen, Amsterdam and parts of France. In Aberdeen and Amsterdam, I am fine with the snow tyres alone. In France, I have to drive halfway up a mountain in the snow and need snow chains....and I can drive my rear wheel drive sedan just fine with them......so, I am definitely not a naysayer!

However, with regards to my parents.....they live in Britain from the first week of March to the first week of October, and then return for Christmas and the New Year - the rest of the year, my parents travel for two months, and visit my sister for two months. In 2009 they returned when it was snowing. So, even if they had snow tyres, it would have been pointless for them at that point as they were already stuck. They just want something that will be all weather and all driving conditions (for convenience)....that they can drive all year round without having to mess around with changing tyres. Also, as they don't spend the winter here (only Christmas and New Year), they don't need to worry about winter driving either.

It boiled down to either a Freelander SD4 or Honda CRV

:ph34r:

In the end the reliability isues (have had 4 personal reports of big issues on 6 month old FLs,) and the deal

offering meant the Honda CRV 2.2 D EX is Bought :)

Thanks all,

One last Q - does anyone know if early HRV Rims fit on current / latest HRV as will get her a set of 2nd Hand Rims

so we can also have a set of Proper Snow Tyres :) ?

Or is the PCD / Rim etc different fitment ?

Thanks again all for help

Nige

Land Rover or Honda? No choice for me but then love is blind I suppose and I would make my choice with my heart and not my head. I am lucky that I have the luxury of not having to think about what's best for the kids (because I have none, yet) or what's best for the wife (because I'm selfish :lol: ). I know that I would be happier with the wife (and I would certainly be happier with me) driving a Freelander 2 than a CRV.

If I had to have any 4x4 other than a Land Rover it would probably be a Land Cruiser or maybe the VW Toerag but circumstances would have to be pretty severe for me to consider either over a Land Rover. Am I stupid or just stubborn? Answers on a postcard..... ;)

^^^

I agree, its a very sad day - I am as big a LR Fan as you could wish for, but

I wnat SWMBO, and she does too, to have reliability, proper reliability not

"They are better than than were" statements. Of 5 people I know 1st hand with FL 2010

4 all have had MAJOR issues, one has had 2 gearboxes, 1 has had it fail to start, and its

done it 11 times and delaer can't find why, 1 has ongoing electrical faults, and the other with 5,000

miles on it has just sold it due to ongoing issues and a useless dealer., and he is buying - a CRV :lol:

1 friend has just bough a new Sport, talked to him and he laughed his new Sport lasted 8 days before back to the dealer

more leccy faults, slpit turbo hose, knock from underneath, and overheating - he's not impressed at all :(

No loan car and there was an attitude with the dealer when he complained that he "Had to sort" in his words :(

Frankly spending 31K on a FL is just too big a risk. I have asked friends (9) who have Hondas NONE

could think of anything that had gone wrong at all.

But a Sad day, but a loverley drive tho :lol:

Nige

Hmmm

SWMBO has now driven loads, has settled on Honda CRV as her fav

Opinions please - Know Hondas relaibility is legendary - how good off road etc ?

:)

Nige

Nige,

You already have experience of Jap reliability on your driveway, so I am not sure that another Jap car needs to be an embarrassment.

Does it matter how good a CRV is off-road? You are replacing a 2WD CAR, to be driven by 'err indoors. You are the off-roader in the house, and you have a proper stomping off-roader for doing just that :D

If you find the whole concept of occassionally sitting in a Jap 4x4 is too painful for your inner self, try to imagine it's really only 2WD, maybe stick an old sock over the 4wd lever to hide it :lol: I discovered the other day that the Nissan Quashquai (sp?) comes in 2wd and 4wd flavours. That's about the same size as the CRV isn't it?

For a soft roader i would consider a Hyundai ix35/tucson. They behave ok in the snow and you really get a lot for what you are paying for them.

Very similar to a Honda CRV but way cheaper (at least over here). As for reliability, I've had one of the older models for 5 years and no complains really

and from what I've witnessed the new ones are just as good.

^^^

Its says in the brochure theres a Passenger (air) Bag or something, prob for LR lovers to wear

whilst in it due to the embarassment :( They think of everything eh :P

Nige

Nope - that's the bit that protects your teeth from becoming embedded in the dashboard the first time the Mrs discovers that unlike the Land Rover it actually has real brakes and you don't need both feet on the pedal :D