Ox Drove Salisbury to Shaftesbury

Disco300

Does anyone know if there are any current TRO's on the Ox Drove between Salisbury Racecourse and Donhead St Mary? As in the new year a couple of friend and i are planning on doing the full legnth as last year most of it was closed. As were the adjoining byways. Even half of Wingreen was shut.

Cheers Ron. I know they had put TRO on them last year but wasnt sure if they had put them on this winter because of the frozen ground. We did the section between the race course and the next road and it was rock solid. Nicely surfaced but rock solid.

Well, that was posted just acouple of weeks back, so i wouldn;t expect much of it to be open.......... and to be honest, i can understand it, as so much damage gets done when there are big puddles etc, cos people seem to just wanna get their truck filthy, and have no respect for the lane..... but some of us want to use tha lanes in the future, so if them being closed in the winter achieves that, then thats fine by me......

Ox drove and the surrounding lanes are currently closed, they have been closed every winter for the last 2-3 years, I drove past a couple of days ago and the tempory closure signs are up.

If your looking for some greenlaning Salisbury plain has pleanty to offer but check that its open before you go, easiest way is to google "salisbury Plain news letter december 2010" or which ever month it is, should bring up a good link to the news letter which displays all of the exercises the military has planned. And if your off out in the next few days on the plain I would suggest you have a map and GPS as its very white at the mo, which makes navigation harder than normal.

HTH

Dave.

Ox drove and the surrounding lanes are currently closed, they have been closed every winter for the last 2-3 years, I drove past a couple of days ago and the tempory closure signs are up.

If your looking for some greenlaning Salisbury plain has pleanty to offer but check that its open before you go, easiest way is to google "salisbury Plain news letter december 2010" or which ever month it is, should bring up a good link to the news letter which displays all of the exercises the military has planned. And if your off out in the next few days on the plain I would suggest you have a map and GPS as its very white at the mo, which makes navigation harder than normal.

HTH

Dave.

Thats a bit of a pain then but thats fine as well. We will just do a few lanes up on the plain. In early summer we did a few lanes up on the plain around Chitterne. It was a tad hard in places due to the fact of no rain for ages. I checked the news letter for May and it said they had no firing going on around Chitterne. Whilst having a tea break at the mud hole we saw thick white smoke coming from the german village on top of the hill then soon after alot of gun fire. We phoned the range master and asked why they were firing on a range that was apparently open to members of the public during the day. He couldn't answer that so we up sticks n left pretty sharpish. As we left we met 2 APC's and a Challenger 2 tank coming up the byway. So i will defo be checking the newsletter. I read through the may one several times as well and marked out the area where we could go and the areas we couldnt.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...