slow wipers on my 90

Hmm, be careful what grease you use. When it's -10 some grease goes more or less solid (ask me how I know!) The wiper motor is extremely short of power anyway considering the wiper blades are some of the smallest. I plan to experiment with one-shot grease which is pretty fluid; the stuff I have in there already, Castrol MS has slowed my wipers right down in cold weather. Just to get an idea what effect the grease has, I'd try removing the cable inner & give it a wipe, just leaving a smear of grease behind. Nigel

Quite often with the defender type wheel boxes its the shaft seizing up in the ali housing , steel an ali, with a touch of salt water dont go well. A squirt of WD 40 (other lubricants are available) behind the knurled arm mounting where the rubber seal (?) is should sort it follow up with some oil . It was a more common prob on the old series type (no rubber seal) HTSH

Quite often with the defender type wheel boxes its the shaft seizing up in the ali housing , steel an ali, with a touch of salt water dont go well. A squirt of WD 40 (other lubricants are available) behind the knurled arm mounting where the rubber seal (?) is should sort it follow up with some oil . It was a more common prob on the old series type (no rubber seal) HTSH

Yes I'd agree with that too. If you take off the wiper arms, remove the cable inner, and give them a twiddle, you'll be able to feel if one of these is seized. Whether it is or not, a bit of lube on them never goes amiss, but you'll know after all that they are free. So then it's just the friction of the inner cable holding it back. This must rank with the locks and the drop arm balljoint as one of the naffest bits of the vehicle. I had a Mini with the same bits on in 1976 and it was bad then. I must admit I have wondered if it wouldn't be possible to relocate the motor nearer the centre behind a console and cut down on the length of cable, or fit a more powerful motor. I know 2002 on have a better run, but the motor is still off to the left. Might be worth checking the voltage across the motor as the teeniest drop from nominal will bring it to its knees.

Nigel