New 90 - some issues

Hi folks

Just got myself a 1988 90 V8 CSW - my first Landy at last! It's a bit rough around the edges but generally seems ok. Some issues though:

1) Temp gauge stays low, top hose doesn't get particularly warm. I've only driven it in sub-zero temperatures but before I run off to get myself a new thermostat, thought I'd check whether this is indeed likely to be a culprit as I've noticed a very large number of Land Rovers wearing muffs recently! (usually cardboard...). Doesn't help that the fan's constantly turning, so it won't even warm up when stationary - can't help thinking an electric fan conversion should be on the cards.

2) Power steering pump is occasionally very noisy, and belt shrieks as well. Just the pump signalling its demise? Really does whine sometimes.

3) Dash lights. Main beam is intermittent in operation, as is the diff lock. Haven't seen the oil pressure light illuminate at all yet, but the battery one does operate as it should. Nothing for the handbrake. Any idea what SHOULD be working out of the box? I'm aware that not all 90s had all lights operating (backed up by my handbook).

Transmission seems nice and quiet, but there is just a touch of driveline shunt. Added to this, the bulkhead top corners have been bodged up in the past and some rather awful additional lighting has been fitted (which doesn't even seem to work!) so I've got plenty to do. Got it for a good price (quite a bit under £2k) with a brand new MoT, so could hardly expect it to be problem free! Looking forward to getting to know it off road (can't afford the fuel to use it ON the road too much!)

1) Stats do stick, they're peanuts though so worth doing.

2) Has the PAS got fluid in it? Is it clean? Any bubbles?

3) Wiring diagram in the tech archive, I'd want to get the oil pressure light working if nothing else (switches can fail, again peanuts and worth doing for peace of mind).

1) Stats do stick, they're peanuts though so worth doing.

2) Has the PAS got fluid in it? Is it clean? Any bubbles?

3) Wiring diagram in the tech archive, I'd want to get the oil pressure light working if nothing else (switches can fail, again peanuts and worth doing for peace of mind).

Thanks - any issues with the stat bolts coming out? I had a bad experience with my wife's Mini once...

I'll have a look at the other things tomorrow.

Thanks - any issues with the stat bolts coming out? I had a bad experience with my wife's Mini once...

I'll have a look at the other things tomorrow.

Made a rather fetching muff out of a cardboard box, which combined with higher temperatures got the needle to almost halfway on the gauge! The only place likely to sell a stat today is Halfrauds, though they don't seem to think my V8 90 exists. Helpful! At least it stopped me spending any money with them.

PAS fluid is indeed very bubbly - I'm no expert but I reckon that's a bad thing. Guess a new pump is required. Is second-hand even worth contemplating?