D2 sunroof drain pipe ends

jagwit

I'm trying to find out where these drain pipes end?

There are many threads on the topic of leaking sunroofs but the info I look for seems to be elusive.

My plan is to run wires up the pipes to make sure they are not blocked before stripping out the roof lining to get to the sunroof drains.

TIA

Philip

I don't know for sure, but *MOST* vehicles have 4 drains, and they run down the A pillar, and either the B or C pillar down to the wheel well, to drip down onto the ground.

I think if you looked hard enough you would find them TBH, in fact, a google seems to give quite a few pictures on D2 sunroof fixes.

I don't know for sure, but *MOST* vehicles have 4 drains, and they run down the A pillar, and either the B or C pillar down to the wheel well, to drip down onto the ground.

I think if you looked hard enough you would find them TBH, in fact, a google seems to give quite a few pictures on D2 sunroof fixes.

I found the rear ends when i had bulb failures in my rear upper lights, taking out the light unit reveals the pipes, one of which emptied directly over an electrical connector (way to go LR :blink: ) The front ones emtpy at the bottom of the a pillar although i havent found the ends, the pipes are viewable if you remove the A pillar covers internally. Do what i did, cover the sunroofs in vaseline and around the joint with the car roof and wait until the waether is good enough to take the roff liner out

Deal with the cause of the sunroof leaks and you won't need the drain tubes.

Unless you open the sunroof when there's water on it so as it tilts the water runs off and into the drains each side, helped by the black plastic moulding stuck on the leading edge of the glass, that's why they are only drains at the front corners and not all four.

Front tubes drop are in the (A) pillar but don't exit, the pillar has a hole at the base to allow water to drain, the rear tubes exit can be seen behind the rear mudflap/valance just look up to see the tube end.

Deal with the cause of the sunroof leaks and you won't need the drain tubes.

Unless you open the sunroof when there's water on it so as it tilts the water runs off and into the drains each side, helped by the black plastic moulding stuck on the leading edge of the glass, that's why they are only drains at the front corners and not all four.

Front tubes drop are in the (A) pillar but don't exit, the pillar has a hole at the base to allow water to drain, the rear tubes exit can be seen behind the rear mudflap/valance just look up to see the tube end.

Are you saying that when the sunroofs are closed, the drain pipes should not be needed at all? IE, that no water should find its way past the rubber seals when closed?

Are you saying that when the sunroofs are closed, the drain pipes should not be needed at all? IE, that no water should find its way past the rubber seals when closed?

Yes of course the sunroof shouldn't leak. LR issued a fix sheet to change the glass seal to a redesigned one on the early D1s but only if customers complained about water ingress. If your sunroof is leaking and the the vehicle is facing up hill drains at the front won't work very well :)

Yes of course the sunroof shouldn't leak. LR issued a fix sheet to change the glass seal to a redesigned one on the early D1s but only if customers complained about water ingress. If your sunroof is leaking and the the vehicle is facing up hill drains at the front won't work very well :)

That makes sense. I looked at the seals and could not see how water could get past them but I thought that there might be something I did not see or understand.

This then also leads me to conclude that the water on my cars carpets could not be coming from the sunroofs - too much water, and also no signs of water coming from above the roof lining. Will have to take another look ant the AC drains...

That makes sense. I looked at the seals and could not see how water could get past them but I thought that there might be something I did not see or understand.

This then also leads me to conclude that the water on my cars carpets could not be coming from the sunroofs - too much water, and also no signs of water coming from above the roof lining. Will have to take another look ant the AC drains...

There is a seal between the sunroof and the vehicles body that can fail but that will require the removal of the sunroof to reseal, removal will distroy the thin seal anyway.

The only leak I have had was when water was coming through a welded seam on the inside of the (A) post.

I had to remove the front passengers kick panel to see it with a bright torch and I could see a drip, only one a minute but that's all that's required, it was just where a bracket is bolted to hold the lower dash support rail (4 bolts to remove) so there may have been some stress on the metal at that point, anyway a dab of body sealent over the seam fix the leak but it took nearly a week to fully dry the soundproofing underlay.

I have a 2001 Td5 and both sunroofs leaked - but intermittently .

Having read a lot of posts I reckoned the headlining had to come out for a proper look/fix .

When I removed the headlining I found all 4 drain tubes in perfect condition and the the boxes to which they are attached also well sealed to the frame . Blew through them and they were all clear .( A good few posters had said that the drain tubes rarely get blocked - and as pointed out they don't help if car is facing uphill as they exit from the front corners ).

So I removed both sunroof frames and found the 'gasket' between each frame and roof to be paper thin and obviously not doing much sealing .

I put a good bead of Tiger Seal under each frame and refitted them .

Not a drop has come in since ( did the job last June ).

It would appear that most leaks are caused by the seal between sunroof frame and vehicle roof failing .

You could run a bead of sealant all around each roof if you didn't want to remove them ; or you could try sealing around them with tape and see if it helps .

The drains cause problems mostly it seems when either (a) the part they are attached to breaks off or (b) when the box they are attached to detaches from the frame .

As far as I remember they come down one each side of the gearbox .

From underneath you will see 2 rubber pipes coming down one either side of the gearbox.

The ends are plugged with a simple type of valve - which can become blocked .

The ' valve ' will pull out easily - you may get a dash of water following which can go up your sleeve etc . :angry:

Just clean off the valve and replace - takes longer to describe than to do ;)

As far as I remember they come down one each side of the gearbox .

Yep, about where the engine meets the 'box. But they are high up on the transmission tunnel and they dont stick out far either, so dont look for any kind of pipe. They are more of a protrusion than a pipe.

• 5 years later...

the front sunroof drain pipes run down the front door pillars but do not come out the bottom the bottom of the pillar is full of grease which blocks the exit hole, the pillar fills up with water it then comes through the hole into the foot well where the wiring loom from the door comes through, if you take the kick panel of you will see where the wires are, what I have done on both of my d2s is to drill a hole on the outside right at the bottom of the door pillar you will have to do this with the door open and you need a long drill bit so you don't hit the door with the drill, when you have done this pock around inside the hole with a wire coat hanger and you will find it full of grease and water all you have to do then is dry your carpet and keep your new holes clear as grit gets washed down and mixes with the grease and clogs it up