Power Steering Leak

boaterboy

The fluid level in the power steering reservoir on my TD5 has dropped and the fluid is evident underneath on the nearside of the vehicle. The weather has been too bad for me to get under the car to have a proper look but from what I can gather the reservoir fluid goes to a pump and then on to the power steering unit. I apologise for being so vague but:

(i) where is the pump located?

(ii) what form does the power steering unit take? That is, is it a ram of some description, does it work on the steering box, etc?

(iii) is it possible to suggest the source of the leak from where the 'drips' are on the underside of the vehicle, i.e. the passenger side?

(iv) as I'll be unable to undertake the repair myself does anyone have any idea what some, or all, of the replacement parts are likely to cost?

(v) are exchange units available to keep the cost down?

(vi) also, what labour time is likely to be involved?

I'm anxious to avoid a horrible shock to the system when I take it to our our garage!!

All comments will be gratefully received and much appreciated. Thank you for your help in anticipation.

The fluid level in the power steering reservoir on my TD5 has dropped and the fluid is evident underneath on the nearside of the vehicle. The weather has been too bad for me to get under the car to have a proper look but from what I can gather the reservoir fluid goes to a pump and then on to the power steering unit. I apologise for being so vague but:

(i) where is the pump located?

(ii) what form does the power steering unit take? That is, is it a ram of some description, does it work on the steering box, etc?

(iii) is it possible to suggest the source of the leak from where the 'drips' are on the underside of the vehicle, i.e. the passenger side?

(iv) as I'll be unable to undertake the repair myself does anyone have any idea what some, or all, of the replacement parts are likely to cost?

(v) are exchange units available to keep the cost down?

(vi) also, what labour time is likely to be involved?

I'm anxious to avoid a horrible shock to the system when I take it to our our garage!!

I do not know the D2 power steering set-up, but may be it is similiar to the D1. Lay-out : On the passenger side, the pump is situated and also 2 high pressure hoses that are screwed into the pump. If it is the pump that's leaking, replace it, they are not very expensive. Ditto for the hydraulic hoses. And the reservoir for the oil also sits on the passenger side. From the pump, the hydraulic pipes go to the steering box that is situated on the driver's side. A leaking steering box can be fixed, but not all fixes are successfull. A new box is rather expensive

In my case, one of the hydraulic pipes sprung a leak, and dumped the ATF.

Happy hunting ;)

All comments will be gratefully received and much appreciated. Thank you for your help in anticipation.

Hmmm, yes.

This happened to me. The Disco was about 8 years old (and 140k miles). A small leak from the passenger side. When the (independant) mechanic removed the pipework assembly, it basically turned to dust. There's some metal pipes, which run somewhere at the bottom of the radiator area, and they'll probably be corroded to a mess - or at least that's what mine were like.

You'll probably need part # QEP000082 - it's a whole new pipe assembly - priced around 120 USD. You may as well replace the lot (you can buy the parts individually as well), in my experience they'll all be pretty well corroded by now, and the biggest part of the job is the doing/access, rather than save a couple of quid on parts...

I understand access is "interesting" and may require removal of the radiator and a few other bits.

Power steering pump is fitted top right as you look at the engine (so nearside). It could be this leaking, or it could be the pipe underneath it which often rubs against the engine bay.

Exchange unit for the pump is about £150 give or take. Pipe can be had for £20 http://www.britishpa...G%20HOSE-DIESEL

Have a feel of the pipe where it rubs the engine, there's a foam/rubber sleeve at this point which wears away, then the steel pipe wears through. I fixed mine at the roadside with quick metal and a jubiee clip and it's still going strong :)

To be honest though, when this pipe went it went everywhere! I mean it doesn't just drip, it sprays out. You'll be out of fluid in no time!

Depending what garage you use and what the fault is you'll probably be looking at between £80 and £240

If you let us know where abouts you live someone might be able to help for a few quid less ;)