Electrical problem on a 200Tdi disco...

freeagent

got a bit of a lecky problem on my Dads 200Tdi disco (1992ish)..... :(

the fuse that protects the indicators, brake lights, heater motor and reversing lights keeps blowing. its a 15/20 amp fuse (depending on what book you read) and i think its B3, but not sure.

it blows as soon as the engine is started, before you've had a chance to switch anything on......

the direction indicator lights work fine when the hazard warning light switch is pressed, so i guess that rules out duff light fittings and bulbs.

we removed the relay that switches the heater motor (blue relay, red holder, behind passenger footwell plastic side panel), but the fuse still blows, so i think that rules out a duff relay.

we removed one of the wires going to the brake light switch on the pedal, and the fuse still blew, but i think we've ruled out a duff pedal switch....

we haven't tried the reversing light switch, as it seams we have to strip the centre consul out, and don't realy want to do that unless its a last resort... :angry:

i think it must be a circuit that becomes energised when the engine is started, such as the brake lights or reversing lights, but we are absolutly stumped........... :(:huh:

any idea's guys... we cant use the truck until we fix it, as its got no idicators or stop lights....

HELP...!!!!

many thanks..

m@tt.

Pull the brake light bulbs & try starting it, if it still blows, try pulling the left indicator bulbs & try a start, if it still blows try the other side,do the same with the reverse lights, probably the easiest way to narrow the systems down, check the shut-off solly's wire & connector as well.

cheers ralph, i kind of thought it wasn't the bulbs, because the fuse blows before any of the lights are switched on... which to me means theres no current reaching the light fitting at that point... or am i wrong...

i guess thats the next step though...... :(

hi freeagent. not sure if this is much help but had a similar problem on my 300 tdi. it came down to the reverse switch wire from the gearbox had rubbed through and was popping the fuse when ever the ignition was switched on. mine was easy to get to. might not help but wortha look under the car before you start pulling your hair out

cheers ralph, i kind of thought it wasn't the bulbs, because the fuse blows before any of the lights are switched on... which to me means theres no current reaching the light fitting at that point... or am i wrong...

i guess thats the next step though...... :(

I just thought it was a easy way to completely isolate each circuit in turn :D but sounds like chaffed wire somewhere.

Edited by western

Both the reversing light switch and the difflock indicator light switch can be disconnected from the rest of the circuit from the engine bay. Look on the bulkhead on the passenger side and you will see some large connectors with small wires which run down underneat the the gearbox tunnel. This makes it a lot easier than going underneath and using your double jointed wrists and elbows to disconnect at the switches whilst not being able to see what you're doing.

Hope this helps

Chris

200tdi Disco