THEFT ALERT

sharpy

Just to let people in the Mansfield, Nottingham area, a mate has just rang to say he has scared of two scrotes trying to steal his truck in Forest Town, they where in a Citreon AX and one of them was wearing a horizontally stripped top, more info as and when he checks with the neighbours, if there is any

Paul

I know it sounds obvious but make sure your mate reports it to plod. Whilst they may appear to do nothing, it's then on record and they may have had reports from other people, and a pattern will begin to emerge.

Despite what you read in the tabloids, most cops do know their local area, and 'the usual suspects' and if they're aware somebody is targeting, say Land Rovers or whatever they will keep an eye out - as they like a good collar as much as the rest of us would...

I have a good friend who is in the police in Oxfordshire and is also a Defender driver and he gave me the following advice.

We all know that Defenders are pretty easy to steal as the security is abysmal, but that said the alarms are loud and will go off if the car is interfered with. The way thieves are getting around setting the alarms off is by removing the nearside headlamp and shorting out the alarm from there. To prevent this a good set of headlamp guards with nylock nuts on the inside will prevent this from happening or at least cause them more hassle and risk trying to steal the car.

Thames Valley Police have found that Crook Locks are now being bypassed by thieves with increasing regularity and an experienced thief can get around them pretty quickly. The best alternative is a pedal lock like the 'Ardcase (http://www.lrsoffroad.co.uk/content/ardcase) which seems to put paid to all but the most determined thieves.

That said the best advice to prevent theft is where you park it. if you can secure it in a garage, great but if not try and think of how bet to protect your wagon. Personally I park my 110 with its nose in a hedge and the Better Halves car right up its backside, so if they want to steal my Defender the little Bast@rds will have to break into 2 cars.

Hope this helps. :ph34r:

Just an update, the car is a citroen zx, not ax and is dark in colour, Maroon or grey have been mentioned i live with a police woman and know that there has been several incidents in the area from the begining of December, including the theft of a trailer, so be aware they may not need to start your truck to steal it!!!! Also their was a witness that got most of the reg

W53 SEH, there could be a digit missing either before or after 53

Paul

Hi again,

unfortunately more news, another truck went from this area last night, it was a red 110 with a cream roof, nothing special not new or full of off road goodies only a winch and a roofrack, any one who has been following this will need to know that the number plate has been checked by the police and is completely false and not registered to anything so it may be one they have made themselves? or perhaps by a garage where they are breaking them?

Paul