Discovery EDC

esk1960

Hi All,

I have read many Discovery owners changing their injector pumps from EDC to manual but I have not read of anyone going the otherway. I am looking at putting in a recon engine into my 300 tdi MANUAL discovery and fitting it with the EDC unit hopefully bringing extra BHP, but I am wary of making this change owing to the number of owners that changed from EDC to manual

Is there a problem with this system?

I would be grateful for any comments.

As said its alot of hassle and expense to go to for a small gain.The EDC is a VERY good and reliable system knocked only by those who dont understand it.Trouble is even LR garages see few faults with them so there is little experience of diagnosing them.

In your situation a bit more power can be had by tweaking the pump and fitting a bigger intercooler.Make sure the rest of it is in good condition though,if you have a tired radiator etc then it will soon let you down.

"I have read many Discovery owners changing their injector pumps from EDC to manual but I have not read of anyone going the other way."

If you think about it, why are so many doing this? Best to work on the KISS principle and stick with something simple that works rather than something complicated that doesn't - or maybe works now but will not in the future. And the above poster is right - nobody knows how to diagnose the things - myself included. It doesn't help that the LR documentation is apparently non-existent.

The other good point about EDC that I forgot to mention is how many engines it has saved.When the engine ecu sees a very high engine temp it will shut the engine right down and limit power output.It does not log a fault code,(Shame.)but it has saved many head gaskets and pistons that I have seen.Two days ago I had a call from a customer with a 300 auto who was fed up with a fortnight of crawling along and not having a heater.......

I fitted a new expansion tank and replaced a weak hose clip and its fine.Had that been a mechanical pump she would have seized it solid,"I did top it up " but not a drop of anti freeze in sight.

It also works the same way on P38 diesels,when those stupid BMW plastic water pumps fall apart.