Has anyone bought a non standard backbox?

Woody3

My tailpipe fell off today (well I think it was today as I only noticed it today). Basically the backbox is still there, but the tailpipe has fallen off at the welds.

The exhaust is only a couple of years old as well!

My question is, has anyone bought an after market backbox and fitted it to the existing system? If so, which have you gone for? As I don't want to be replacing it again in a couple of years!

I don't want anything flash...

Thanks,

The same thing happened to me, I went to a local exhaust garage and they wanted £120 for a custom rear pipe which would exit through the body work behind the rear tyre. This would prevent it snagging in ruts or getting knocked etc.

Not sure if that's a good price though? Anyone had similar work done (new ss pipe without silencer or cat)?

My tailpipe fell off today (well I think it was today as I only noticed it today). Basically the backbox is still there, but the tailpipe has fallen off at the welds.

The exhaust is only a couple of years old as well!

My question is, has anyone bought an after market backbox and fitted it to the existing system? If so, which have you gone for? As I don't want to be replacing it again in a couple of years!

I don't want anything flash...

Thanks,

I use Rimmer Bros, they supply the Sh##part variant at about £23 for back box and it lasts on average 3-4 years, at that cost I can live with it, I have in the past snapped the tailpipe off when reversing off road and the metal is thick enough to take a mig weld when re-attaching end pipe section, if you do go for aftermarket option try and keep original olives and apply exhaust sealant in copious amounts to seal pipe union, the ones that come with fitting kits are too big.

We will have to guess at what engine but if it is a 300TDi beware that you have to get the correct tailpipe as the bracket for the rear hanger sits in a different direction depending on chassis number, a good search of the parts suppliers will confirm which one you want as most provide pictures and/or photos (that is how I made 100% sure I was ordering the correct one when I needed one).

I checked before purchasing and found that my Britpart labelled one was actually manufactured by Bosal who are a very respected manufacturer (the make is stamped into the silencer), it is also the same diameter as the OE system which is very important as I discovered that some were not and were actually significantly smaller in diameter which will do nothing for the gas-flow.