new battery/alternator

ady 1

hi to all

just put a new lucas 100ah battery on my landrover 90 what i would like to know is this, is a 65 amp alernator up to keeping my battery fully charged or should i opt for something a bit bigger.originaly it was a 2.5 td 19j diesel it has now been rebuilt on galv chassis with a disco 200 tdi in.it has extra earth leads on and complete new wiring harness as well.any suggestions greatly received

Doesn't really matter how many Amp Hour the new battery is, the alternator will simply put back what everything else takes out, unless of course you've added lots of other electrical goodies.

If the total continuous electrical drain on the system exceeds 65 Amps then there will be none left for the battery, that seems unlikely though.

I have a Disco 100Ah alternator on my Defender 300tdi, mainly because that was the only one I could get at the time. The 65Ah old one has now been fixed and is carried as a spare. Both work well, even though I have a two-battery setup to power a fridge. Maybe if you have two batteries and a winch (and use it!) you would be better off with the bigger alternator.