lt 77 gearbox/lt230t transfer box

ady 1

hi to all

just a quick question i dont think my centre diff is engaging properly how can i check this.

how can i fix this if it is broke.i am considering changeing the transfer box to a disco one some time down the line but i would like mine to work for know.ps the difflock light has not been wired up yet. as my landie has had a complete rebuild just trying to get everything sorted out bit by bit.once i know the centre diff is working as it should then it will get wired in.any help/suggestions most welcome

If its in then you should be able to feel it when doing a full left lock or right lock turn at slow speed on tarmac. You should feel the front end push out and feel "lumpy" as their is no difference in speed between the front and rear. Alternatively you can lift up a single wheel and rotate it, with diff lock in this should not be possible with it out it should rotate, remember to chock and have it out of gear to do this.

If diff lock is not working then it could be a simple seazed joint in the external mechanism. An adjustment to gain enough movement to engage the lock or perhaps something more sinister that means you need to go into the top of the transfer box. Either way in a defender your access is good with the top and side panels coming out of the centre tunnel for access.

HTH

Ryck

if it is something more sinister what am i looking for and is it an easy fix.or will it be easier just to change the transfer box.ps the gears work ok when hi/lo is selected its just the centre diff not engaging as it should.

To be honest I am not sure as its not something I have had to take apart (yet) however I would be suprised if something was "broke" but wouldn't be suprised if a grub screw has worked loose meaning that you cannot engage/disengage the lock. I lost high/low selection due to a loose grub screw in the top of the transfer box selector. I would work from the top down and see what you find cleaning and replacing as needed till you find the issue.

All the best

Ryck