Reversing Lights - options suggestions ?

Hybrid_From_Hell

Right

As this forum was sooooooooooo good to help and ultimately sort out my Headlamp upgrade so well, I now following trying to reverse out of a tight space

severely - read completed crushed the hopeless land rover 90 rectangular mouse torch on the bottom of the tub need to replace my less than hopeless

reversing lamp, friend did the immortal "Your Ok, your OK, left hand down a bit, yep, your OK, keep coming as you are, yep, keep coming, as you are,

fine, keep coming <Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuncccch> :huh: Erm Whoa Nige :blush:

I am thinking of something roll cage top tube rear hoop type mounting, would run this as a seperate on / off etc relays blah blah,

but I fancy something that I shove 2 x of and hit the switch and then "See the Light" :)

Steve at Work has been thinking same route, he has gone and bought 2 x NAS type round lights for mounting up there, may even think that too

unless better ideas solutions pop up here :) ?

Options thoughts ideas pics, bring them on

Nige

I have a square Wipac light on the rear gutter and use that when I need extra light for reversing. Even though it's on one side it throws plenty of light to use both side mirrors.

I have a NAS reversing light and find this is good for one side but doesn't throw enough light sideways to cover the other mirror. Two would be perfect if you don't need a worklight, and saves having to switch it off and on. The amount of times I've walked up the drive before realising the worklight is still on from reversing down it :rolleyes:

post-12723-092839600 1293733128_thumb.jpg

I've seen trucks with either a single or pair of work-lights mounted on the top of the roll cage (near the top of the rear stays), which come on with the standard reversing light (probably through a switch so they can be over-ridden on or off as required). That would throw out plenty of light when needed and, if mounted cleverly, would be unlikely to get ripped off on trees etc.

how much light do they put out ?

vs say a pair of

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...c#ht_6111wt_929

Nige

Well, they are both roughly 50W, both halogen, so pretty much the same I would guess... Trust me though, you won't want for light with two of them shining away behind you.

Main reason I suggested is because of the compactness, and cage mounting.

I run a cheapo square auxilary light inside the car, shining through the small rear window. This way, you dont knock them off in the woods (like sliding in a tree :rolleyes:).

The type doesn't matter too much I think, but what I have done is that the reverse light is the same type as the front auxilary lights on the roll cage, so you always carry a spare when you knock one of these.

Daan

i have these lights on the back of my 90 one on each side fixed into the roof just abouve the rear windows

use the 55w bulb and gives plenty of light. i run it off a switch from my second battery so if i need to use it for a work light rather than reversing i can do so with out running down the starting battery

ive not gone through a relay for them both as the cable and switch i have used can handle the amps they draw, if i went for higher wattage bulbs then i would of had to

Ive just bought two of those wipac square jobiess (same as M&S) but am going to convert them to 35wHID !!! (only because ive got a few of the cheap chinese HID kits in the lock up)

Going to wire them up so they will only come on when im in reverse AND the side lights are on. will also wire them to the rear interior door switch, once again to only come on if the side lights are on as well.

Andy

X lights are good i have 5 of them now .. 4 front 1 rear. But they are annoying at the same time.. racing around the woods i always find the bulbs shake lose or water gets in messes the bulb up every couple of months.... its a rare occasion i press the switch and all 4 actually light up..

i think instead of the push in pin type they should ahve made them with the G style Clamp..

just my thoughts

Fitted 2 standard work lights (55w bulbs in each) to the back door of my disco as extras via a relay,so as not to burn out the reverse switch.

Not ripped them off yet and give a wide beam of light.

As they are up high, but below roof height, they flood the rear with light.

Will put up a pic tomorrow if required.

Right

following trying to reverse out of a tight space

severely - read completed crushed the hopeless land rover 90 rectangular mouse torch on the bottom of the tub need to replace my less than hopeless

reversing lamp, friend did the immortal "Your Ok, your OK, left hand down a bit, yep, your OK, keep coming as you are, yep, keep coming, as you are,

fine, keep coming <Crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuncccch> :huh: Erm Whoa Nige :blush:

The problem is not your light it's your bad eyesight, and your friend doesn't appear to be a trained banksman as any experienced motorist would use.... opps, sorry wrong thread :ph34r:

In my experience pretty much anything is OK, just fit whatever looks cool and is within budget

X lights are good i have 5 of them now .. 4 front 1 rear. But they are annoying at the same time.. racing around the woods i always find the bulbs shake lose or water gets in messes the bulb up every couple of months.... its a rare occasion i press the switch and all 4 actually light up..

i think instead of the push in pin type they should ahve made them with the G style Clamp..

just my thoughts

Have you fed this back to Si?

I am sur ehe would be interested in any feedback that allows him to improve his products.

Marc.

Along side my reversing lights on my car I have a pair of bullet type front fog lights under the bumper. They cast a wide low foglight beam pattern across the ground so that I can see low lying obsticles and also allow the light to pass under my trailer when reversing it into dark spaces.

The lights are switched with a no volt contactor triggered by a microswitch and only active when the reversing lights are on. That way they self cancel when I come out of reverse.

I changed to a NAS spec reversing light last year and have been pleased with it, a couple would do a splendid job I'd think.

I have a pair of worklights on the back of the 110 as well, they are just switched via an illuminated dash switch. The only time I use them for reversing is when I am in amongst the scenery at night with more to contend with than kerbs.

Will :)

Thanks Will, That's very useful.

I've fired off an enquiry to my supplier to buy 1000 MR16 sockets incorporating a bulb clamp. Their web site lists them at 11 quid individually which is a bit steep. Hopefully in big multiples they will be better.

If I can get them and you'd like some, drop me a line and they'll be free. That applies to anyone who has experienced that problem.

Personally, I've not experienced the bulb holders coming off - but maybe you drive faster than me!

Nigel, If you want to try some X-Lites - I'll give you a full refund if you're not delighted! (That also applies to everyone else too!)

Quite often I have lamp housings which are cosmetically not 100% - usually the ones from the bottom of the box. Most just get re-anodized but if you're not worried about the odd blemish - I'll give you a decent discount!

Si

I have a square Wipac light on the rear gutter and use that when I need extra light for reversing. Even though it's on one side it throws plenty of light to use both side mirrors.

post-12723-092839600 1293733128_thumb.jpg

I second that - one lamp on right hand side only but lights up both sides. Great for reversing onto drive, greenlaning, pcinics, unloading, whatever. A good spread to both sides but alos quite a throw (imagine one headlight and you're there).

I got mine from Bolt On Bits for about a tenner but needs a bulb too (few quid). They have an ebay 'shop' but I'd just ring them up and talk.

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/boltonbits/