Auto Transmission Warning Light

Clive

I wonder if anyone can help, I currently have a problem starting my RRC LSE!

On a particularily cold morning I went out, started the car and let it run for 10 or 15 minutes. I then turned it off. HID wasn't ready!

On returning to the car about 30 minutes later I tried to start the car, but everytime I turned the key to the 'start' position, the Automatic Transmission Warning light came on and the vehicle will not start. There is no clicking of relays and the starter motor does not turn. The response is similar to what occurs when the selector is in D and you try to start the vehicle.

I have tried this several times over the past 2 weeks with the same result. I have even tried it with the gear selector in N P R D 3 2 1 and there is no difference. When the key is turned to 'IGN' the normal dashboard lights come on, but when the key is turned to 'start', the Auto transmission light comes on (as well) and the vehicle does not start. The light goes out when you return the key to the 'IGN' position.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this? Now the snow has gone, I'm going out to have a look tomorrow so would appreciate a few pointers whilst I'm under the bonnet!

Unfortunately I can't start the engine and wanted to know if there was a way to check if there is enough transmission fluid in the gearbox. I'm not sure if there is some form of level switch which may turn the warning light on, and engage the inhibitor, when the level drops below a certain level. I do remember some garage proprieter telling me that they filled them up to the level of a filler plug on the side of the gearbox casing, but I didn't think they had one! I think I'll just put half a litre in anyway to see if that makes any difference!

I'll also check the battery, but everything else is working fine and nothing dims when you turn the key to 'Start'.

I've checked the battery and it is fully operational and all other circuits are fine. I am sure that the transmission fluid level is fine, but I can not check it at the moment and was hoping that someone had an alternative method!

I'll continue to post comments as I try to diagnose the problem.

I still think you must have a wiring problem somewhere between the start inhibit and starter relay...

IIRC the warning light you are referring to is an overheat light, and it shouldn't stop you starting the car.

I would try putting 12V to the spade terminal on the starter to see if it cranks it over, if it does then find the starter relay and check it, if it doesn't then the starter solendoid is probably dead.

• 2 weeks later...

Problem solved!!!

It turns out that the problem was the original immobiliser! The car has an aftermarket Cobra alarm fitted.

A couple of weeks before the starting problem, the central locking system started to play up, the car would continuously lock and unlock. The only way to stop this was to take the C/L fuse out, but this meant that I had to lock the car with the key. This worked fine for a couple of weeks until the day of the 'problem'. It wasn't until I was locking the car the other day after attempting to rectify the problem when I noticed an LED flash on the dashboard. It suddenly dawned on me that this was for the original alarm system, which must still be active. So to try to stop the C/L from locking and unlocking again, I WD40'd the internal lock buttons and then replaced the fuse. I locked the vehicle with the Cobra remote and then unlocked it and 'Hey Presto' it started!!!!!

The only thing I haven't checked is whether the Auto Transmission Warning light comes on. I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks to one and all for their tips.

Clive

IIRC the sensor is on the cooler pipework below the LH end of the engine radiator, covered in muck and usually pressed up agains omething else. On later RRC there is also a sensor on the T-box behind the brake back plate.

The auto oil shold cover the words "check with engine ideling in neutral" on the dipstick if it hasn't been started for a while, as a rough guide.

futher problem to this issue mine softdash is refusing to start when hot(after low range work or very hot day in traffic) warning light for transmission comes up on dash and after a 20 to 40 minute rest reg. starts and runs as if nothing has happened, ive been told that the tranny sensor next to the radiator is only a warning light so my question is what sensor is fitted to the beast that will inhibit starting when hot? chris

• 1 year later...

More on this (now) reccuring problem.

The problem recurred in December 2011 and I had the after market Cobra alarm removed, which cleared the problem.

However, I've left the car for a week and returned to a flat battery! Now, after sorting the battery out, I am back to the original problem with everything working apart from the starter! And the Transmission Warning Light comes on when the ignition switch is turned to position III. The doors lock and unlock and the indicators flash as they should.

I think that this light illuminates when the engine imobiliser is activated.

Is there any way of unlocking this using some form of key code? I have the security information that came with the car, including the CATS number.

How do I bypass the immobiliser?

• 2 years later...

Good evening,

I have exactly the same problem as described in the original post. As soon as I turn the key to the number 3 position instead of starting the Red gearbox temperature light just illuminates. The gearbox level was checked only days before and that was fine. The starter motor is brand new and the battery has been tested and is good.

I am relatively new to RRC ownership and as a consequence to this forum.

Regards,

Tom.