Anti-roll bar

Judging by the different thicknesses of the bars, the front will have the most effect.

Don't know if I agree with Ralph :o as plenty of vehicle only have front roll bars.. don't some discoveries have front only or am I making that up...?

all 110CSW upto the later models only have a rear one [on passenger carrying modles but not pick-ups/hardtops] my '89 110 does & no mountings for a front bar.

Discovery's have front & rear bars :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by western

Guest diesel_jim

Wolf's have front only (think the pulse 130" ambulance has both)

I won a 110 front bar off of ebay, not sure if i'm going to use it, it's missing one of the "U" shaped brackets, but if anyone wants it, they can have it for what i paid (£30)

The ''Twist Off Gone Wrong '' thread has got me wondering. If you took a Landy with a rear locker and front and rear anti roll bars attached up an articulation ramp until it lost stability (with a safety chain of course) and then repeated the attempt with both bars disconnected, would it lose stability earlier or later? My guess is that it would drive further up the ramp with bars disconnected before it did a'' Hummer''.

Guest diesel_jim

I'm not sure about the 90/110 variants, but i recall that in the press when the rangie's were first fitted with factory antiroll bars, the press blurb stated that "they only lost 1cm of axle travel"

how true this is, god knows! :lol:

The ''Twist Off Gone Wrong '' thread has got me wondering. If you took a Landy with a rear locker and front and rear anti roll bars attached up an articulation ramp until it lost stability (with a safety chain of course) and then repeated the attempt with both bars disconnected, would it lose stability earlier or later? My guess is that it would drive further up the ramp with bars disconnected before it did a'' Hummer''.

On a side slope the anti roll bars would reduce the tendency to lean out of the slope and improve stability. Be a closer call on a ramp though as its forcing cross axle so everything else being equal (which it isn't) the f&r anti roll bars would work against each other but still improve stability up to the point (earlier) when the tyres break contact with the ground.

can i ask why do you want an anti-roll bar? its never going to handle like a car. most people i know who've removed them to improve flex dont seem to have noticed much difference anyway.

thinking back many years to when i thought tarmac was the thing to drive on i believe front anti-roll bars increase understeer & rears increase oversteer.

can i ask why do you want an anti-roll bar? its never going to handle like a car. most people i know who've removed them to improve flex dont seem to have noticed much difference anyway.

thinking back many years to when i thought tarmac was the thing to drive on i believe front anti-roll bars increase understeer & rears increase oversteer.

The NAS was fitted as standard with both front and rear anti-roll or anti-sway bars.

The rubber bushes wore out, they reduced the axle articulation off-road and I did not find a ha'pence of difference when I took them off. However, with Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks fitted to all four corners I can change the characteristics front to rear at the press of a button and get better articulation.

Go spend your money and waste your time on something more worthwhile!

Handling wise, if you fit a front bar, you'll get more understeer and fitting a rear bar gives more oversteer.

Fitting funky shocks will give better response to entering corners and leaving corners etc but you'll still get the same 'angle of dangle' in a long bend / big roundabout etc. It makes a huge difference to your confidence in the bend though.

Been driving a Series 1 V8 for many years and now a hybrid, my experience is I’d go for the front personally. Body roll in bends starts at the front in bends I believe, plus and more importantly, the reason that landies don’t stop in a straight line in an emergency stop is that the lack of front anti roll bar allows one side of the vehicle to dip first, this leads to steering geometry change and the vehicle goes veering off to one side.

Don’t know if anyone else agrees.