Starting issue

Typsey

Hi there,

I have had a small starting problem since the start of the cold spell in December. The disco was struggling to start and it eventually killed an old battery that I had inherited when I bought it(6 years old). I changed it for a new one and since then it has started but not with the ease of previous winters.

Yesterday I dug the multimeter out and measure the resistance of the glowplugs which turned out fine (no I haven't had them out in a vice to see where they glow). I also checked the voltage going across the circuit and it didn't register anything. This tallies with the lack of assistance seen when I allow the glowplugs to warm up before completing the ingition sequence.

I think that they are not getting any voltage, and therefore power, which is the reason for the sluggish starting. Question: what's the fix? Is it a new relay? If so, does any kind sole have the part number?

Many thanks in advance.

Typsey

I never used the glow plugs on my old 300 tdi, even down to -20 (i didn't get round to checking if they worked or not).

What I did do was put an earth between the battery and the engine which helped with the cranking speed. It always fired up without any problems. Rocky