Td5 Radiator/Intercooler

Hi chaps,

I just need a bit of info that for the life of me I've been unable to find throughout the world wide web.

I want to future-proof my 110 when I build it by allowing for possible future installation of a Td5, and one way of doing that would be to use a Td5 radiator and intercooler when putting it back together with the current 200Tdi. I know the mounts are different, which is why I need to ask the question.

Has anybody put a Td5 radiator into a Tdi before? From photos the pipes look to be in roughly the same location for coolant at least. Does the intercooler sit alongside as per my current setup, or is it a separate one across the front like the 'performance' ones available for many ££££s?

Any photos of the mounting and general layout of the Td5 radiator system would be fantastic, as it will help me decide what to do with regard to chassis etc.

Thanks, and happy new year :)

http://landyspareparts.auctivacommerce.com/Land-Rover-Defender-Td5-intercooler-VGC-P1165584.aspx

Well that answers that. Coolant hoses look to be in roughly the correct place so should meet up, oil cooler pipes can be modified to fit easily so they're not a problem. But it looks like I would have to extend the pipework to the intercooler. Simple enough I guess.

Only question left to answer is the mounts, ie. what they look like and how easy they would be to fabricate onto a 200Tdi chassis.

Oh, and also the question of whether the rad/intercooler/oil cooler will work with the 200Tdi. Can't see any reason why not, if anything the Td5 items should be better as they're more modern.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so with a bit more digging, it seems that a Td5 radiator doesn't include an oil cooler, since there is an integrated one built in to the engine itself which uses the coolant to cool the oil. Fair enough. It does mean that if I were to put in a Td5 radiator, I would need to fit a small oil cooler rad underneath while I still had the 200Tdi fitted, to retain the oil cooling function.

Although I could make it work for both. Build two pairs of mounts, one Td5 and one Tdi, and make them so that they bolt onto the front crossmember. Then if I do upgrade in the future I can just unbolt the old and bolt on the new, and the rad should mount right up. Looking at doing something similar with engine mounts in order to retain future upgrade-ability.

I think that's the way to do it, just requires some measuring and recording of shapes/sizes of mounts :)

I tried installing a TD5 rad in my rangie when I converted to diesel - wasn't succesfull at all and I ended up buying a TDi rad.

With the right hoses and expansion tank no doubt it could be got to work ok, but to be honest I much prefer the TDi rad - a lot stronger than the alloy TD5 one and it does the same job.

I did fit the TD5 intercooler though, if you modify the mount points for a TDi rad so the rad sits in the centre of the frame, the intercooler hoses pass either side nicely.

I tried installing a TD5 rad in my rangie when I converted to diesel - wasn't succesfull at all and I ended up buying a TDi rad.

With the right hoses and expansion tank no doubt it could be got to work ok, but to be honest I much prefer the TDi rad - a lot stronger than the alloy TD5 one and it does the same job.

I did fit the TD5 intercooler though, if you modify the mount points for a TDi rad so the rad sits in the centre of the frame, the intercooler hoses pass either side nicely.

Do you have some photos of this installation?

Do you have some photos of this installation?

Picture attached - I have an Isuzu engine fitted, so bit easier as the turbo and manifold are on different sides, but it should be easy enough to make up a pipe to bring the intake side of the intercooler over to the right spot if it's for a TDi

There are some good usable mounting points on the side of the intercooler, so just make up a couple of brackets to drop it into - oh and you need to trim the sides of the rad mounting frame a tad to let the pipes pass through easily.

Also quite easy to mount the rad centrally, just need to make a hole for the rad filler cap.

post-4919-0-16374000-1295367344_thumb.jpg